SOUTH HERO SELECTBOARD MINUTES March 28, 2016
Members Present: J. Shaw (Chair), G, Rice, C. Tremble, A. Zolotas
Members Absent: S. Graham
Public Present: Maurice Lamothe, Vermont State Police; Sandy Gregg, Peter Gregg, Doug Patterson, Tim Maxham
7:00PM – J. Shaw call the meeting to order.
Adjustment to Agenda
Katy Lord of South Hero Land Trust will attend the April 11, 2016 SB meeting.
C. Tremble moved to accept the minutes from March 14, 2016; A. Zolotas 2nd. All in favor.
State Trooper Maurice Lamothe, Station Cmdr. in St. Albans, met with the SB to introduce himself and answer any questions the Board or public may have. Discussion included State Police coverage (4 Troopers providing night coverage for 21 towns in Franklin and Grand Isle counties). He explained that there is a Trooper assigned to the Islands but he is not always able to be out here due to needs elsewhere. They are anticipating additional people to be assigned to St. Albans. He praised the Grand Isle County Sheriff’s Dept. and stated that Sheriff Allen provides good coverage and is a good resource. Trooper Lamothe said the greatest areas of concern are burglaries and drug offenses (generally related). Additional discussion included Sunday coverage, costs of State Police coverage, and procedure. Currently there is no regular coverage from law enforcement from 2AM to 8AM, but the State Police can be contacted for assistance during this time.
– Discussion regarding the State’s intention to eliminate the position of Town Service Officer.
– The Board will plan to meet with Sheriff Allen at their April 11 meeting. (this is confirmed)
Ongoing and Old Business
– South St. Improvement Project: discussion included the budget, additional funds from the State, bidding schedules, and project inspector.
– Johnson mediation is ongoing.
– Discussed Camp Ta-Kum-Ta lawsuit
Report of Officers
The Zoning Administrator provided a written report for the Board.
– The Board postponed approving the road name “Cedar Hill” until the next meeting. Asked if there was a second choice.
– C. Tremble moved to sign the orders; A. Zolotas 2nd. All in favor.
– The Board tabled the request for a license renewal for Snow Farm Winery and asked that they attend the April 11 meeting to meet with them.
– The Board reviewed mail regarding the VNA annual report, Regional Planning, the crosswalk/beacon to be located at South St. and Rt 2, and the annual plan for State Aid.
– C. Tremble and G. Rice will attend a meeting with Grand Isle officials to discuss future consolidation of some services.
8:00 – C. Tremble moved to adjourn; A. Zolotas 2nd. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, Zoning Administrator and Selectboard Assistant
Signed: _________________________________________ Date: ______________________
For the Selectboard
These minutes are unofficial until the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.