Regular Meeting of January 13, 2020
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 6:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Anne Zolotas, David Carter, Skip Brown, and Sharon Roy
Others Present: Martha Varney, Administrative Assistant, Janet Yates, Town Clerk/Treasurer, Doug Patterson, Cecile Roy, Tim Maxham, Will Moran, Sandy Gregg, Mike Wickenden, Jenny Schulz, Cody Fiala, Herman Fossi.
- Called to Order:
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 6:00 pm
- Adjustment to Agenda:
-Add executive session at end of meeting.
– David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the special meeting of December 16, 2019 as written; second by Anne Zolotas. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the Emergency meeting of December 26, 2019 as written; second by Sharon Roy. Jonathan Shaw and David Carter were not in attendance; all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
– David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the special meeting of January 6, 2020 (Selectboard Public Hearing) as written; second by Anne Zolotas. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
- Public input:
There was none.
- New Business:
- A. Cecile Gove presented an appeal letter to the State regarding the reappraisal. David Carter made a motion to sign the letter; second by Anne Zolotas. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
- B. Mike Wickenden and Herman Fossi of South Hero Rescue presented a proposed Article to hire EMT support when there is little coverage during daytime hours. An Article asking for up to $55,000 to hire EMT help will be submitted for Town meeting.
- C. David Carter moved to sign the Fraud Prevention Policy; second by Anne Zolotas. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
- D. Anne Zolotas made a motion that the proposed amended Development Regulations be an article at Town meeting [rather than being approved by the Selectboard]; seconded by Sharon Roy. Jonathan Shaw, Anne Zolotas, and Sharon Roy so voted; Skip Brown and David Carter voted nay. The Article will go to a Town vote at Town Meeting.
- Administrative Assistant Report:
- A. See the report on southherovt.org or filed with this report.
- B. Skip Brown moved to appoint Mike Welsh and Sue Arguin as Alternate members of the Development Review Board for 1-year terms, and to appoint current Alternate Jim Brightwell to complete the term of full-time member Sherry Corbin who resigned from the Board this month; the motion was seconded by David Carter. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
- 7. Old and Ongoing Business:
- A. The Board reviewed the final budget for the 2021 fiscal year.
- The Board discussed the wording for Articles that will be approved at the 1/27/20 meeting.
- Announcements and Communications:
- David Carter made the motion to re-appoint Erin Morse and Carol Tremble to 3-year terms on the Recreation Committee; seconded by Anne Zolotas.
- The town office will continue to be a FEMA emergency management center.
- David Carter met with the Vermont Electric Co-op arborist who explained that VEC will be clearing trees, including Ash, from within their utility rights-of-way. She recommended that the Town wait to remove any Ash trees along the roads until after they are finished since the utility may be removing them anyway. A map showing the area of Emerald Ash Borer infestation and the proposed roads and rights-of-way where VEC will be working has been posted in the Town Office boardroom.
- David Carter made the motion to sign the contract to continue the Town’s annual agreement with the Humane Society of Chittenden County.
- David Carter made the motion to sign orders number 20-13, 20-13A, and 20-14. The motion was seconded and approved.
-8:18PM: Anne Zolotas made the motion to move to executive session for personnel matters.
-8:30PM: The Board announced that David Carter will address the personnel matter. David Carter moved to adjourn; Anne Zolotas seconded. All in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Martha Taylor-Varney – Asst. to SB Jonathan Shaw, Chair