Reorganizational + Regular Select board Meeting
Minutes of Meeting of March 11, 2019
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Present: Jonathan Shaw, Anne Zolotas, David Carter, Sharon Roy
Board Not present: Graham “Skip” Brown
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order: The meeting was called to order by Janet Yates at 7:00 PM.
2. Board Reorganization and appointments:
1. The meeting was opened by Janet Yates for reorganization.
2. Janet Yates asked for nominations for the Chairperson of the Select board. David Carter made a motion to appoint Jonathan Shaw as Chairman of the Select board. The motion was seconded, Jonathan Shaw abstained, the others so voted and the motion carried.
3. The, meeting was turned over to the Chair, Jonathan Shaw.
4. David Carter made a motion to adopt Rules of Procedures for the Select board. The motion was seconded, motion carried.
3. New Appointments.
1. Jonathan Shaw made a motion to appoint Graham “Skip” Brown as clerk. The motion was seconded, motion carried.
2. David Carter made a motion that The Islander would be the paper of record for legal notices. In addition, agendas and other posting locations will be the Library at the Folsom Educational and Community Center, the Post office, and Town Hall. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
3. The meeting time and place will remain the same: i.e. at 7:00 pm on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month at Town Hall. When there is a 5th Monday of the month, the Board may decide to have joint meeting with the Planning Commission and Development Review Board.
4. David Carter made a motion to appoint Anne Zolotas as Tree Warden. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Anne abstained
5. David Carter made a motion to appoint John Roy as Road Commissioner. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Anne Zolotas made a motion to appoint Jim Benson as animal control officer. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
7. Anne Zolotas made a motion to appoint David Carter as Emergency Management Director. The motion was seconded, David abstained, the others in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
8. Anne Zolotas made a motion to appoint Jonathan Shaw Deputy Emergency Management Director. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion was carried. Jonathan abstained.
4. Adjustment to agenda.
6. D Trail Grant.
-David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the regular meeting of February 25, 2019 as written. The motion was seconded, the others in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Public input:
7. New Business:
A. Janet Yates, Town Clerk updated the Select board about the audit which has been completed and that Sullivan and Powers also audited South Street Project. NEMRC is running smoothly. Janet will be looking for a new Clerk/Treasurer as Sandra O’Flaherty has handed in her resignation. She is moving to Essex Jct. when school is done.
B .David Carter made a motion to allow the Road Commissioner to sign the road permits for the Select board, the motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. VCDP .Grant Application| Robin Way, C.I.D.E.R. and Miranda Larose, Cathedral Square are working together on an affordable, independent housing project and would like the Select board to sign a Resolution. David Carter made a motion to sign the Resolution Application for the VCDP Grant Application. The application needs to be done on line and a public hearing is set for April 3, 2019.
David Carter made a motion to authorize Jonathan Shaw to sign the motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted motion carried..
D. David Hobbs was present as Recreation Chair to inform Select board about the trail from School to the Library across the Lavin property. He is requesting support from the Select board for a planning grant. David Carter made a motion to have both chairs (Select board and Recreation Commission) sign the application. Motion was seconded, the others in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
8. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. Martha presented a written report. See the written report available in Town Hall or on the Town website for all of discussion points.
9. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to adopt the Whites Beach and Parking Ordinance the motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. This ordinance will be posted within 15 days and will take effect in 60 days unless appealed.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to transfer $60,000.00 from Highway Surplus to the Highway Equipment Fund per.Auditor.The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, motion carried.
10. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to sign orders #19-18. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. David Carter made a motion to approve liquor license renewal for Island Beverage and Redemption Catering. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. A letter was received from Fish and Wildlife in regards to Snow Mobiles to be vigilant on trails where there maybe farm fences crossing the trails.
D. David Carter told Select board there was a donation made to the town of 18 long cement blocks.
-Anne Zolotas made a motion to adjourn at 8:05 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Sharon Roy Jonathan Shaw, Chair
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard March 13, 2019
- Notices of Violation against the Zlotoff Foundation were issued on Feb. 26, 2019 for an unapproved use for the Tool Museum building to also house a car museum, and for an unapproved use of the Landon Rd. Garage. Although the museum building is owned by the Zlotoff Foundation, testimony at the 2015 conditional use and site plan review identified the bottom level of the car museum to be used for storage only. There was no testimony regarding the display of cars. There has yet to be a review that would include these additional conditional use and site plan considerations that were not previously reviewed. It cannot be assumed that the conditions for the Tool Museum can automatically be applied to a car museum (increased number of visitors, traffic, differing hours of operation, etc.). As for the unapproved use of the garage on Landon Rd., this building was approved at site plan review as an Independent Structure (defined as not being associated with any other conditional use). The garage’s association with a car museum makes its definition as an Independent Structure obsolete. This garage needs Conditional Use approval by the DRB and its designation changed from Independent Structure. The Notices were sent by certified mail and were signed for on March 5. The deadline to respond, by either coming into compliance (applying for Conditional Use review by the DRB) or appealing the ZA’s Notice to the DRB, is Wednesday, March 13. [**I was notified today by AIR Development that they will be appealing my decision to issue Notices of Violation to the DRB. Appeal date to be determined].
- Because a quorum of the Selectboard may not be available for a 5th Monday meeting on April 29, NRPC will be meeting with the Planning Commission and DRB on a regular Planning Commission meeting night – May 1st to discuss the availability of grant money for a feasibility study for municipal wastewater. Any SB members still in town are encouraged to attend.
- Taylor Newton has requested a 5th Monday meeting with the SB, DRB, and PC for July 29, 2019 for further discussion with all 3 Boards re: municipal wastewater. This date needs to be confirmed by the Selectboard so I an get it on the calendars for the DRB and Planning Commission.
- A Certified Flood Manager’s exam is being scheduled for May (date to be determined). I plan to take the exam. There will be a review the day before the exam is given. No definite date has yet been scheduled.
- I will be warning a public hearing for the White’s Beach Ordinance for April 8th pending the Selectboard’s review of the Ordinance at tonight’s meeting. The deadline to send the warning to the Islander is the end of this week. The approved draft will need to be posted on the Town website at the same time. The Ordinance will take effect 2 months after approval by the Selectboard.
- The Draft Sign Ordinance was reviewed during a public hearing at last Wednesday’s Planning Commission meeting. The Commission will update the document before presenting it to the Selectboard. Although I had hoped to schedule a public hearing on the same night as the Whites Beach hearing, the Sign Ordinance Selectboard public hearing will be delayed to later in April or possibly early May. Date TBA.
-Planning Commission: NRPC finalized final formatting (with a couple of small clarifications) of the draft development regulations updates. I plan to have hard copies for the PC members at their next meeting (March 20). Copies will also be made for the Selectboard.
-Development Review Board: -Upcoming hearing schedules include a change in conditional use for the construction of a 2-family dwelling unit, and Final Plat review for a 3-lot subdivision. Copies of recent DRB decisions are posted on the board outside the ZA’s office.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard