Regular Meeting of February 25, 2019
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), David Carter, Sharon Roy, Anne Zolotas
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Sharon Roy made a motion to accept the minutes of the special meeting of February 11, 2019 as written. The motion was seconded, Anne Zolotas abstained, and the motion carried. Sharon Roy made a motion to accept the minutes of the regular meeting of February 11, 2019 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. Town emergency director, David Carter, will be on vacation from April 17-May 20. Previous emergency director, Jonathan Shaw, will cover while David is gone.
B. Liquor licenses:
-Skip Brown made a motion to approve the indoor and outdoor liquor license renewal applications for After Noonies, LLC/DBA Blue Paddle Bistro. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Sharon Roy made a motion to approve the indoor and outdoor liquor license renewal application for Emma Enterprises, Inc./DBA McKees Island Pub. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-David Carter made a motion to approve the liquor license application for Victoria’s Café, LLC. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. The draft of a Whites Beach ordinance was reviewed and some edits were suggested, including only requiring parking stickers from the Friday before Memorial Day-Sept. 30. A final draft will be discussed at a future meeting and will then be posted for a public hearing.
8. Announcements and Communications:
– The Town was notified that Velco is considering adding some 100’ tall microwave towers to improve their own line communication. A balloon test will be conducted to determine the visual impact of the towers.
9. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to sign orders 19-17 and to pay the bills associated with the orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Planning for Town meeting was discussed. The Town will go first at 9:00 am, Saturday March 2, 2019.
-David Carter made a motion to adjourn 7:40 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard February 25, 2019
1. I issued Notices of Violation against the Zlotoff Foundation today for an unapproved use for the Tool Museum building to also house a car museum, and for an unapproved use of the Landon Rd. Garage. Although the museum building is owned by the Zlotoff Foundation, testimony at the 2015 conditional use and site plan review identified the bottom level of the car museum to be used for storage only. There was no testimony regarding the display of cars. There has yet to be a review that would include these additional conditional use and site plan considerations that were not previously reviewed. It cannot be assumed that the conditions for the Tool Museum can automatically be applied to a car museum (increased number of visitors, traffic, differing hours of operation, etc.). As for the unapproved use of the garage on Landon Rd., this building was approved at site plan review as an Independent Structure (defined as not being associated with any other conditional use). The garage’s association with a car museum makes its definition as an Independent Structure obsolete. This garage needs Conditional Use approval by the DRB and its designation changed from Independent Structure. Zlotoff Foundation was sent a warning notice for both violations on February 6th and I have received no response. Once the formal NOV’s are reviewed by the Town attorney I will be sending them by certified mail.
2. NRPC has requested a 5th Monday meeting on April 29 to meet with the Planning Commission, DRB, and Selectboard to discuss the availability of grant money for a feasibility study for municipal wastewater.
3. I received an email from Vincent Chiorgo (VT. Salvage Yard Program) updating me on the status of the property at 5 Railroad St. Although some vehicles have been removed from the lo, at his most recent inspection there are still 3 boats on trailers, an excavator, a truck and another old rusted vehicle, in addition to 3 fuel tanks (oil), an old washer, 2 riding lawn mowers and 30 old tires yet to be removed. It appears that the house is occupied. Vincent intends to continue communication with the landowner with the hope of completing the clean-up.
4. The letter to SeaComm Federal Credit Union from the Selectboard was mailed on Saturday, February 16. Copies were also sent to the Lavins’, Jeff Sikora, the engineers, the credit union’s lawyer, and the South Hero Town Clerk.
5. A Certified Flood Manager’s exam is being scheduled for May (date to be determined). I plan to take the exam. There will be a review the day before the exam is given. Incidentally, due to the amount of snow-pack in the mountains and the fact that the lake is already above mean level, Watershed Management is already anticipating some flooding this spring on Lake Champlain.
-Planning Commission: NRPC finalized final formatting of the draft development regulations updates and copies are currently available electronically. I plan to have hard copies for the PC members at their next meeting (March 6). The Commission will also discuss dates for the public hearing(s) at that meeting.
-Development Review Board: -Upcoming hearing schedules include a change in conditional use for the construction of a 2-family dwelling unit, and site plan and conditional use review for Seb’s.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard