Regular Meeting of August 26, 2019
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas, Sharon Roy
Board Members Not Present: David Carter
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Add to New Business:
Highway Department bid for dump body.
Errors and Omissions from Listers
-Add to Old Business:
Municipal Planning Grant (MPG) resolution
Draft proposal from South Hero Rescue (SHR)
-Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of August 12, 2019 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. Bob Stock of the US 2020 Census was present to discuss the rollout of census data tabulating that will begin on April 1, 2020. The State will need about 2000 people and 100 in Grand Isle County. The pay is $16.50/hour and any interested people for a temporary job can apply.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to approve the Road Department to spend $35,000.00 of the equipment replacement fund for a new dump body and frame corrosion mitigation on the Western Star truck. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. PACIF (town insurance) did an inspection of Town buildings. They had a few recommendations, including sprucing up the Town Hall building and installing exit signs in the Island Craft Shop building. The safety items will be addressed and the recommendations will be discussed in the future.
D. Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept and sign errors and omissions on WS-560 due to a clerical error as submitted by the Listers. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. See the report on www.southherovt.org or filed with these minutes.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. The Grand Isle Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) has received a grant for public education of the pest. An informational meeting will be held in each Town of the County. More info on a date for the South Hero meeting will be discussed at a future meeting.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept and sign the Municipal Planning Grant Resolution for 2020 to study water and wastewater for the Town. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. Anne Zolotas, a member of South Hero Rescue (SHR), submitted a draft proposal suggesting that a Vermont Certified EMTB be hired to cover the hours of 7:45-5:15 Monday-Friday. This is due to the problem of not enough volunteers to have adequate coverage for this time period. See the full proposal submitted with these minutes on www.southherovt.org or in Town Hall. SHR proposal for hired EMTB 8-26-2019 More information will be forthcoming.
8. Announcements and Communications:
A. Tracy Road will be closed from Route 2 to Station Rd. for culvert replacement beginning on Sept. 3 until the work is completed.
B. Volunteers are needed for South Hero Rescue. No experience is necessary and training will be provided.
9. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to sign orders 20-04 and to pay the bills associated with the orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. David Carter is working on agreement between the Town and the Library. He will attend a library board meeting and will report back to the Selectboard with an update.
-Sharon Roy made a motion to adjourn 7:55pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard August 26, 2019
- 4 wells were tested by Bob Osbourne of vhb on August 14 – Cain, Perrotte, Zlotoff garage, and Phelan O’Connor. The pond (Hoar) was also tested that day. Bob was hoping to make an appt. later in the week for the Hoar home at 145 RT 2. The only remaining well to test is Schoenberger (31 John Stark Rd.). A letter was sent to their Utah address, but I have yet to receive a response. Bob told me it would take about 2 weeks to get results back from Endine.
- The Zlotoff Foundation appealed the DRB’s decision to deny the Foundation’s appeal of 2 notices of violation to Environmental Court (Superior Court – Environmental Division). An initial phone conference has been scheduled for 11:30 on August 26th. I have yet to hear back from Andy on any specifics of the call today.
- September 5th will be the deadline for any petition against the Selectboard’s approval of the Sign Ordinance. Barring any last-minute petition, the Ordinance will become effective on September 21st.
- Northwest Regional Planning Commission is preparing an application for a 2020 Municipal Planning Grant for the Town of South Hero. This grant would pay for a feasibility study for water and/or wastewater infrastructure for South Hero. The Planning Commission recommended a scope to cover water and wastewater for the entire town, and the SB concurred. There are concerns by NRPC that the scope may be too broad but the PC confirmed their support of the larger scope at their 8/21 meeting.
-Planning Commission: The Planning Commission is scheduling their public hearing for the final draft of the updated Development Regulations for Wednesday, Oct 2, 2019 at 7PM. Should this hearing not result in substantial changes to the document, a Selectboard public hearing can be scheduled.
-Development Review Board:
– Hearings scheduled this Wednesday (8/28) include a conditional use and site plan review for RL Valley for a gas station and convenience store at the intersection of RTs 2 and 314. September’s hearings include a 2-lot subdivision and another variance request. The Board is currently booking hearings into Octoer.
Martha Taylor-Varney, Zoning Administrator and Assistant to the Selectboard