Regular Meeting of November 26, 2018
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), David Carter, Anne Zolotas, Sharon Roy
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk & Martha Taylor-Varney Admin. Assistant/ZA
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Add Executive Session for legal matters re: Zlotoff tax appeal to last item in “Other Business”
-David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of November 12, 2018 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. The door on the front of the Old White Meeting House, AKA the “Granny’s Attic” white building, is old and weathered and is in need of replacement. David Carter made a motion to allow the Granny’s Attic organization to research, buy and have a new front door installed on the front of the Old White Meeting House using funds from their organization. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Regarding the former red fire station, AKA “Granny’s Attic Too”, many keys to the side door have been distributed and they would like to change the locks. David Carter made a motion to allow the Granny’s Attic organization to change the lock on the side door of the building. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Budget requests:
– The South Hero Volunteer Fire Department (SHVFD) submitted a budget request of $86,400.00, reflecting a flat budget over last year. They would also like to see Communication/radio/pager budget increased, as this covers dispatch for the SHVFD and SHR, as well as radio/pager replacement for SHVFD, SHR and the Town Road crew trucks, and several radios are in need of updating.
– The South Hero Rescue (SHR) submitted a budget total request of $44,777 of which $32,675.00 is to be raised by taxes.
– The SHVFD and SHR share the new Emergency Services Building, so there is an estimate of costs for the 2019/2020 FY budget since there are no historical numbers to go by. The total budget request is $191,494.00, of which $160,069.00 is for the bond and bond interest payment.
– The South Hero Library also submitted an estimated budget request as the building is not complete and they will hopefully occupy it by next summer. They anticipate a total budget of $138,690.00, of which they expect approximately $88,000.00 to be raised by taxes, with the rest coming from donations and other funds that should be available.
– The South Hero Recreation Commission submitted a budget request of $13,200.00 which is an increase of $1200.00 over last year due to an increase in the trail program as well as beginning to fund a new youth basketball program. It was suggested that possibly the scholarship program be better publicized.
NOTE: All of the budget requests will be finalized by the Selectboard and will be voted on by all South Hero voters at Town Meeting Day.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. David Carter made a motion to name the right of way access off of Route 2 into the Lavin property as the private road “Lavin Lane”, and to authorize the Chairman to sign the necessary paperwork when it is complete. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
-none at this meeting
8. Announcements and Communications:
-see other business
8. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to sign orders19-11 and to pay the bills associated with this order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to apply for Department of Corrections Community Service work in the future. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. The General Town budget was worked on.
D. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into Executive Session at 9:05 pm to discuss legal matters regarding the Zlotoff tax appeal. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 9:17 pm. No action was taken upon the exit of Executive Session.
-Skip Brown made a motion to adjourn 9:20 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard November 26, 2018
1. After the Board finishes the budget I will make copies of the next sections of the Financial Policies Handbook for additional edits and to prepare for the SB’s signature.
2. The name of the ROW off of RT 2 that was created between the 2 new lots facing RT 2, and will also be the access to the rest of the Lavin property, will be called ‘Lavin Lane.’ The SB needs to approve the new name so I can include it on South Hero’s E911 map. The new road will be the address for any future development on either of the new lots approved in the spring by the DRB or any other development in the parcel behind. VTrans does not intend to create any new access off RT 2 for that parcel.
3. The next Certified Floodplain Manager’s exam is scheduled for January 11, 2019 in Montpelier. I plan to take that exam. There will be a review the day before the exam.
-Planning Commission: The next meeting will be Dec. 5th. There will be no second meeting in December. The Commission will return to their 2 meetings-a-month schedule in January.
-Development Review Board: The DRB has no hearings this Wednesday but will be discussing decisions for Granny’s Attic and Island Craft Shop. There will be 2 hearings on December 12. There will be no 2nd meeting in December. The Board will resume its 2nd and 4th Wednesdays-a-month meetings in January.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard