Regular Meeting of June 25, 2018
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), David Carter (via speaker phone), Sharon Roy, Anne Zolotas
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk & Martha Taylor-Varney Admin. Assistant/ZA
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Sharon Roy made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of June 11, 2018 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Listers, Cecile Gove and Sherry Corbin were present to advise that there will be town wide 5 year rolling reappraisal completed in 2019. So far, about 600 properties have been updated and they hope to finish the seasonal properties by this fall.
B. Sandy Gregg was present to advise the Board that there is a no match grant opportunity for the library, and asks for the Selectboard support to apply for the grant. Anne Zolotas made a motion approve a letter of support and to have the Chairman sign said letter to be submitted with the grant application. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
5. New Business:
A. None this meeting
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. Regan Henry has resigned from the Planning Commission and an ad for a replacement member to complete her term will be posted. Any interested person may submit a letter of interest.
C. Anne Zolotas made a motion to allow the Development Review Board (DRB) to hire alternate member Jim Brightwell as clerk of the DRB. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. The Town has completed the purchase of the new Emergency Services Building and the SHVFD and the SHR have moved in.
B. The disposition of the now former SHVFD and SHR buildings was discussed.
-The transfer of ownership to the Town should occur by the end of July.
-The Town has voted to have the SHVFD white training building removed. That should occur in the late fall when the Town Road crew is between busy work seasons.
-The DRB feels that the former SHVFD red fire station that will be used by Granny’s Attic should go through a change of use process. That will be upcoming.
-The Island Craft Shop has expressed interest in possibly renting the former SHR building. More information will be at a future meeting.
C. Update: The tax appeal of the Zlotoff car storage facility on Landon Road is very expensive to the Town. The latest attorney bill alone is $9266.87, and the appeal process continues.
8. Announcements and Communications:
A. The amount for the 2019 Green Up Day was missing from the Town Report budget line. The town supports Green Up Day and will plan to cover the dumpster fees.
B. The Town Highway Department was not happy with the CINTAS uniform service that they were using. They neglected to inform the former company of their displeasure in a timely manner before they cancelled the contract, so CINTAS submitted a bill of approximately $2700.00 for breach of contract. Martha will write a letter of protest and will advise the Board of so the outcome.
9. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to sign orders 18-26 and pay the bills associated with this order. The motion was seconded; David Carter abstained since he is not present in person, the others in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Regarding the 2018 health insurance, the Town had agreed to sign up for the Gold CDHP plan on BC/BS with an HRA account for each employee. BC/BS set it up with a HSA instead of a HRA, plus it was never funded. The Board will try to get the plan changed by July 1, 2018 and will reimburse the out of pocket expense that occurred before July.
C. Skip Brown made a motion to go into executive session to discuss FY 2018/2019 Town employee pay at 7:56 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 8:09 pm. David Carter made a motion to approve the salaries and hourly pay as discussed and budgeted. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Anne Zolotas made a motion to adjourn 8:15 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard June 25, 2018
1. I have not submitted the VTrans 1111 Access Permit application yet. The requirement to close the access on the east side of the Blue Paddle building would eliminate the only access to the restaurant parcel from a public right-of-way, leaving access only from property currently owned by the Town of South Hero. VTrans had required that the Town and the restaurant have a separate agreement for the use of the Town-owned access and would not guarantee that the current east-side access could not be reinstated in the future should there be a change to the status of either property. Once that question is settled, the application will be submitted.
2. I have received a draft of the Town’s Hazard Mitigation Plan which has been approved by FEMA. I will forward copies of the 50-page document to SB members for their review and have a copy of the document available for SB signatures at the July 9th meeting. Once the document is signed I will forward it to Taylor Newton of Northwest Regional Planning who will then forward it to FEMA who will then formally approve the plan. Once this is completed, South Hero will be eligible to apply for Mitigation grants administered by FEMA.
3. Advertising for a new member for the Planning Commission. Regan Henry resigned.
4. The SB had previously approved a budget for a DRB clerk in the FY 2019. A member of the Board, Alternate Jim Brightwell, has offered to do it (previously, ZBA member Paula Delano was clerk for that Board). It is necessary to advertise the position of can the SB appoint Jim with no further search?
5. Martha will be out of the office from July 11 through the 18th. I will miss one DRB meeting (the 11th) and one Planning Commission meeting (the 18th).
-Planning Commission: The Planning Commission’s is reviewing and writing new language for the Development Regulations draft as a result of the conversation at the June 4th special PC meeting with the SB, DRB, and reps from the Fire Department and Rescue.
-Development Review Board: A Conditional Use and Site Plan review that began on June 13 wills continue this Wednesday (6/13). 2 hearings are scheduled for July 11, and 1 scheduled for July 25 (so far). The schedule shows no signs of slowing down throughout the summer.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard