Regular Meeting of December 10, 2018
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), David Carter, Anne Zolotas, Sharon Roy
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Janet Yates, Town Clerk & Martha Taylor-Varney Admin. Assistant/ZA
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of November 26, 2018 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Sandy Gregg asked that the Grant Acceptance letter be signed.
B. Chris Morse complained about manure on Station Rd. between Tracy and Lakeview Roads. Apparently, a manure spreader was overfilled and it spilled onto the Road. The Board had already received complaints about it and has spoken to the farmer. She advised that it will not be filled like that again so hopefully it will not be a problem in the future. Also, there is dirty water runoff from the north field that missed the ditch. It will be looked into.
5. New Business:
A. Budget requests:
– David Lane, Chair of the Lake Champlain Islands Economic Development Corp. (LCIEDC) submitted a budget request of $1600.00. This is level funded from last year.
– Neil Hazen of the Cemetery Commission advised that the Commission has money left from past years and will not be asking for money in the budget this year.
– Island Arts submitted a letter requesting $1950.00 for their organization. This is level funded from last year.
– Friends of Northern Lake Champlain submitted a letter budget request. This is the first time that this organization has asked the Town for money. In the past, new budget requests have been in the form of an article to be voted on separately from the Town budget.
NOTE: All of the budget requests will be finalized by the Selectboard and will be voted on by all South Hero voters at Town Meeting Day.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
-none at this meeting
8. Announcements and Communications:
-There is a new Park and Ride on Hercules Drive in Colchester.
8. Other Business:
A. David Carter made a motion to sign orders19-12 and to pay the bills associated with this order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. To date, the legal fees for the Evslin property tax appeal have been $8241.00 and for the Arnold Zlotoff garage on Landon Rd. have been $26,202.00.
C. The General Town budget was worked on.
D. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into Executive Session at 8:15 pm to discuss legal matters regarding the Zlotoff tax appeal. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 8:31 pm. Upon exiting executive session, the consensus of the Board is to continue with the appeal process as Mr. Zlotoff does not wish to settle at this time.
E. Note: There will not be a meeting on December 24, 2018. Instead, there will be a special meeting on December 17, 2018 at the regular time and place. Also, the “5th Monday” meeting for December 31, 2018 will not occur.
-Skip Brown made a motion to adjourn 8:35 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard December 10, 2018
1. The name of the ROW that accesses the Lavin property is proposed to be Lavin Lane. I will need Selectboard to approve the name before I can assign addresses to the road and contact E911.
2. I hope to have a few road name suggestions for the ‘ring road’ at the Fire-Rescue/Health Center/Wally’s/Library for the SB to choose from for the first meeting in January. E911 is requiring that the road be named there and each unit have its own address (so the Fire Department will know how to find them in case of an emergency…..)
3. I received notice today of an appeal to a decision by the DRB regarding a violation to the setback for a garage structure on Featherbed Lane. I will be contacting the Asst. Court Clerk for VT Superior Court/Environmental Division tomorrow to confirm what is required from the Town beyond the list of Interested Persons. The notification was dated December 4; I did not receive it until today (12/10). I will act as the clerk of the DRB for the purpose of this appeal.
-Planning Commission: The next meeting will be January 2, 20 19. The commission members are currently discussing possible incentives for Planned Unit Developments rather than more conventional subdivision where there would be an emphasis on open space, possibly community septic systems rather than numerous individual systems, and more affordable housing. The Commission hopes to meet with representatives of local/state land trusts and developers to get their input.
-Development Review Board:
a. There will be 2 hearings on December 12. There will be no 2nd meeting in December. The Board will resume its 2nd and 4th Wednesdays-a-month meetings in January. Hearings are already being scheduled into late February.
b. Board members Doug Patterson and Gareth Hunt have each requested to be re-appointed to the DRB for full 3-year terms. An ad was placed in Front Porch Forum for anyone interested in being on the DRB, as this is required by the SB any time a term on either the DRB or Planning Commission is completed. The deadline for applications is December 17, 2018.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard