Regular Meeting of October 9, 2017
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas, George Rice, David Carter
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk and Martha Taylor-Varney, Admin. Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of September 11, 2017 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Jay Dibono of VTrans asked if the Board had an opinion about painting cross hatch lines on the shoulder of Route 2 near the intersection of Route 314 where there is to be no passing on the shoulder. George Rice made a motion to support the painting of the lines in the “no passing on right” area. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
5. New Business:
A. Janine Bellinghiri of the SHVFD Auxiliary was present to ask to use the “Potvin” parking lot a Folsom Educational and Community Center for “Trunk of Treat” on October 31 from 4:30-6:00 pm. David Carter made a motion to allow use of the lot for “Trunk or Treat. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
B. The Green Mountain Marathon will be held on October 15, 2017. David Carter made a motion to allow the marathon to be run as in the past. South St. to be closed from approximately 8:45-9:30 and the use of the Folsom Parking lot may be used with the understanding that the fire lane to the dry hydrant will be kept clear for the entire race time. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. David Hobbs, Chair of the Recreation Commission (RC) was present to advise the RC would like to form a trail committee. Also, the RC would like to mow a grassy section of the South Hero Recreation Park to reclaim it from field to be more of recreational area. The consensus of the Board is that these items are fine to proceed.
D. No representative from Granny’s Attic showed up.
E. Jeff Parizo and Keith Hanson of the Masonic Lodge were present to discuss holding a holiday parade on South Street. David Carter made a motion to allow the closure of South St. from Route 2 to the Masonic Lodge at approximately 5:30-6:00 pm on December 2, 2017. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
F. Public Hearing for Interim Zoning: No action will be taken on the proposed interim zoning.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. Martha received a petition from some residents in Shadowland regarding a junkyard on 15 Railroad St. The Town has no ordinance specifically about junkyards, but the State can step in if there are issues related to environmental impact or public health. Vincent Chiorgno, who is the Salvage Yard Compliance Manager for the State will make a site visit in the near future to determine if there are issues.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates:
– The section from West Shore Rd. to Landon Rd. should begin to be paved this week.
B. The emergency services building construction is underway and no new updates at this meeting.
8. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to sign orders 18-06 and 18-07 and pay the bills associated with these orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. The Town personnel policy states that there are to be performance review standards completed in September. There is no form stipulated that will cover employees. David Carter will look into locating a template.
C. The Budget process will begin at the November 13 meeting.
D. A discussion of whether the there should be a ballot issue of Act 27 (17 VSA 2646) which states that Towns may appoint rather than elect Town Clerk and Town Treasurer will be discussed at the November 27 meeting.
9. Announcements and Communications:
A. During the Island Vine 10K race on Sept. 25, some spray painting was done on sections of the race course. Peter Delaney of Run Vermont will be made aware of this and will be asked to remediate.
B. The Town attorney, Dinse, Knapp and McAndrew, PC has a conflict of interest working on the tax appeal of the Evslin residence. He recommends that the Town hire Charlie Merriman for this case. The consensus of the Board is that this is fine.
-David Carter made a motion to adjourn 8:30 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard October 9, 2017
1. I plan to be away the week of October 23 – 27. There is a Selectboard meeting on the 23rd. I will have an Administrator’s report prepared ahead of time and will post warnings for the 8/23 meeting during the previous week.
2. Would like to request the Selectboard consider additional funds for a Clerk for the DRB.
3. Application for VLCT appointment of nomination to the Marijuana Symptom Relief Oversight Council — includes a municipal representative who is a member of the ZBA (or DRB) to be appointed by VLCT. Will notify the DRB at their next meeting in case anyone is interested. Nominations due by October 27, 2017.
4. Email from Rebecca Pfieffer of Shoreland Protection regarding a possible opportunity to attend the FEMA 4-day course – Introduction to the National Flood Insurance Program – to be held in Vermont if there is enough interest. The course is usually offered at the FEMA training site in Frederick, MD. Possible VT locations are Burlington, Montpelier, Rutland, and White River Jct. Asked for interest and possible available dates, ranging from early November to February.
5. Will be attending NRPC ZA’s Roundtable in St. Albans tomorrow. I believe there are DRB some members also attending.
6. Will be attending the VLCT Fall Planning and Zoning Forum on November 1st, in South Burlington.
7. Received a petition from 17 residences of Shadowland requesting the Town do something about the junkyard at 5 Railroad St. There are numerous cars, heavy equipment, and other debris that has been on the parcel for many years. The Town does not have a Junkyard Ordinance but the State can step in if there are issues relate to environmental impact or health. Town Health Officer Anne Zolotas contacted Vincent Chiorgno, who is the Salvage Yard Compliance Manager for the State of Vermont who has agreed to conduct a site visit, hopefully within 30 days. He will contact me when he has it scheduled. I have contacted the petitioners to let the know the status at this point.
-Planning Commission: Continued discussion with the SB and DRB re the draft updates to the Development Regulations. Next meeting scheduled for October 18 at 7PM. Public hearings have not yet been scheduled.
-Development Review Board: Two scheduled hearings for October 11, and one for October 25.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard