Regular Meeting of July 10, 2017
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas, George Rice, David Carter
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk and Martha Taylor-Varney, Admin. Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Delete from New Business: Road Dept. job applicant. Possible interviews and executive session for Personnel Matters
– David Carter made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of June 26, 2017 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. David Hobbs, Chairman of the Recreation Commission was present to discuss White’s Beach. The signs were installed on the fence stating “Parking for South Hero Residents and Guests Only”, but when a car is parked in front of the signs then they are obscured. The Road Crew will put the signs on posts so they are more visible.
B. Brigitte Kerr of South Street was present to inquire why the Planning Commission (PC) is only 5 members, as she is willing to be a member. The PC will discuss this at their next meeting.
5. New Business:
A. Peter Delaney of Run Vermont was present to discuss the Island Vine 10K race that will be run on Sept. 24, 2017 starting and finishing at Snow Farm Winery. The route will be the same as last year. David Carter made a motion to allow the race and have a letter of support sent to Run Vermont so that they can present it to the State for a permit to run on the Route 2 portion. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. The dog ordinance was discussed. South Hero does not have a “leash law” but all dogs must be kept in control of their owners. Also, the rail trail fishing access is owned by the State and they have jurisdiction over that area. Animal Control officer, Everett Dubuque, will be invited to a future meeting to discuss the ordinance and enforcement of “nuisance” dogs.
C. The formation of a study and advisory committee to oversee the existing fire and rescue buildings was approved in June. David Carter will set it up and said committee will report to the Selectboard with findings. A request for up to 7 members will be advertised on FPF and in the Islander.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates:
-According to the contractor, it appears to be on schedule. The portion from Martin Rd. to West Shore Rd. should be complete by the end of July. When the section from West Shore Rd. to Landon Rd. begins, there will be a detour from either Whipple Rd. to East Shore Rd. or from West Shore Rd. to Lakeview Rd. during the daylight construction time so that the contractor can work on 2 lanes at once. South Street will be open in the evenings and weekends.
B. The Fire and Rescue Emergency Services Building:
– The latest draft agreement between the Town and the users of the building was discussed. The SHVFD executive committee will review the agreement at their next meeting and it will be discussed at an August Selectboard meeting.
-MKN, LLC. has received financing to build the structure and applied for a building permit. They hope to break ground as soon as possible. Their attorney will be presenting a contract to the Town. George Rice made a motion to allow permission to allow David Carter to speak with the Town attorney regarding the contract, in addition to Jonathan Shaw. The motion was seconded, George Rice, David Carter and Skip Brown voted yes, the others voted no, and the motion carried.
C. Two accounting firms replied to the RFP for an audit. David Carter made a motion to hire Sullivan, Powers & Co. to conduct the audit for FY 16/17 and an interim audit in March. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
8. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to sign orders 18-01 and pay the bills associated with this order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
9. Announcements and Communications:
A. LCIEDC submitted a letter regarding a grant opportunity for Snow Farm Winery to purchase equipment. David Carter made a motion to allow the Chairman to sign a letter of support to submit with their grant application. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. The High Risk Rural Road assessment to allow VTrans to increase signage for West Shore Rd. was done in 2014. VTrans is now asking for bids to complete the program.
C. Bill Rowe will agree to continue as representative Northwest Solid Waste District.
-David Carter made a motion to adjourn 8:20 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard July 10, 2017
1. Fifth Monday in July – DRB and Planning Commission to meet with Selectboard. NRPC would like to attend to explain to the Board the proposed updates to the Development Regulations. Public Hearings with both the Planning Commission and the Selectboard will be scheduled in the weeks to follow. The Planning Commission is hopeful that these meetings will be well attended.
2. The Planning Commission made additional changes/corrections to the Development Regulations document at their July 5th meeting. Taylor Newton of NRPC has told me he will have a final copy to me on July 17. I will forward a digital copy to all SB members and will have copies of the final document printed and made available to SB, PC, and DRB members by the end of that week in preparation for the July 31st 5th Monday meeting.
3. Received 2 responses to RFP for Audit. Have given to the SB.
4. Referred Bridgett Deschamps to Robert Currier of Vermont Fish and Wildlife regarding complaints about loose dogs and traffic on the railroad bed between the causeway and Martin Rd. F&W owns the parcel and has jurisdiction over its use.
-Planning Commission: Completing revisions to the Development Regulations. The next meeting will be July 19 to review the final document with NRPC prior to July 31 meeting with SB and DRB.
-Development Review Board: 1 scheduled hearing Sketch Plan for a 4-lot subdivision) on July 12, followed by a deliberative. No other hearings scheduled at this time.