Regular Meeting of October 10, 2016
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas (left the meeting at 8:10 pm), George Rice, Carol Tremble
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Martha Varney, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of Sept. 26, 2016 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Dave Hobbs of the Recreation Commission (RC) was present to discuss the Roy Marsh Wildlife Management Area trail. It is owned by the State but licensed to the Town until Sept. 30, 2022. The trail is in poor condition, and the RC would like to explore the possibility of building it up with gravel. John Beaulac gave an estimate of $10,000-$15,000 to do this work. The RC will speak to the State and see if State will allow addition of gravel and if grants are available for such a project..
5. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. Carol Tremble made a motion to approve to have VEC install a light in the future Park and Ride and to pay the monthly charge of $30.20 for said light. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried. Also for the park and ride, Martha will contact the Town road department to set up paving of the apron before the paving season is over.
C. Anne Zolotas made a motion to have Martha spend up to $300.00 for a new copier. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
6. New Business:
A. Janine Bellinghiri of the SHVFD Auxiliary was present to ask to use the “Potvin” parking lot a Folsom Educational and Community Center for “Trunk of Treat” on October 31 from 4:30-6:00 pm. George Rice made a motion to allow use of the lot for “Trunk or Treat. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
B. Fire Chief Kim Julow requested by email that the SHVFD use the “Potvin” parking lot a Folsom Educational and Community Center on October 15, 2016. Anne Zolotas made a motion to allow use of the lot for training. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
C. The possibility of a special event ordinance was discussed. More information will be forthcoming to see if this seems necessary
D. 2017/2018 budgeting worksheets were handed out for review. Budgeting will begin at the next meeting.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates: The Town consulting engineers Dubois and King have been working to get all of the permits finalized before it can go out to bid.
B. Re: the Camp Takumta real estate tax appeal: There is a possibility of settlement, but nothing is firm yet.
C. George Rice made a motion to have the Recreation Commission install signs at White’s Beach saying “Parking for South Hero residents only”. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
D. John Beaulac will find out if a traffic study is necessary to change the signs at the intersection of Station and Tracy Roads.
8. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to sign the order 17-08 and pay the bills associated with said order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
B. Angolano and Company is scheduled to begin the Town audit on October 20.
C. Skip Brown made a motion to go into executive session at 8:16 to discuss a legal matter. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried. Executive session ended 8:40. Upon exiting executive session, Martha was instructed to continue with the matter discussed and to report back when a firm outcome is determined.
D. Skip Brown made a motion to go into executive session at 8:45 pm to discuss a different legal matter. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 9:03 pm. No action was taken upon exiting executive session.
-Carol Tremble made a motion to adjourn 9:05 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard October 10, 2016
1. Sending a certified letter to Keeler Bay Campground and Marina with a required 7-day notice of a pending Notice of Violation for disregarding a condition of their most recent SP approval in regards to parking.
2. New Town advertisement for Rec Committee members to be printed in the Oct 11th issue of the Islander. Have contacted Rec Committee and ZBA members re new 3-year terms.
3. Fall Planning and Zoning Workshop on November 2. Would like to attend.
4. Timeline for changing to DRB format.
5. Discussion on replacing zoning office printer.
Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment
• Update on Conditional Use and Site Plan approval for Park and Ride facility to be located at 618 US Rt 2: Decision with list of Conditions; discussion of VEC light.
• Both Boards approved the CU and SP review for MKN, LLC for a Planned Unit Development to include a Fire Station, Community Library, and office building at 260 US Rt 2. Update on request for Conditional Use and Site Plan approval for a Park and Ride Facility at 618 US Rt. 2. Preliminary verbal feedback from VTrans in response to SB letter regarding signage; nothing in writing yet.
• ZBA has 2 Conditional Use reviews scheduled for October 12.
• Joint ZBA/PC hearing for Conditional Use and Site Plan review for Zlotoff Tool Museum scheduled for October 19.