Regular Meeting of November 14, 2016
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas, Carol Tremble
Board Members Not Present: George Rice
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Martha Varney, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Add “discuss making South Hero shotgun only” to Other Business
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of October 10, 2016 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Dave Hobbs of the Recreation Commission (RC) was present to discuss White’s Beach. In the old lease/deed paperwork that was reviewed, there appears to be a notation that the beach area is for South Hero residents only. Carol Tremble made a motion to have an attorney review the documents to see if that notation is in the deed language and enforceable. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Josh Nase and Herman Fossi of South Hero Rescue (SHR) were present to request that funding articles be placed on the ballot for the 2017/2018 fiscal year. They are requesting $30,000.00 for the equipment replacement fund and $15,000.00 operating funds. Note, that since there will be a new fire/rescue building in the near future, the $5500.00 approved in the 2016/2017 ballot article for maintenance on the current rescue building will not be used.
5. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
6. New Business:
A. John Roy and John Beaulac presented the highway budget request. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into executive session for legal matters at 7:50 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 7:58 pm. Upon exiting executive session, Skip Brown made a motion to have a survey done on the “salt shed” property to locate the existing boundaries. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. An ad for letters of interest in the new DRB was place on November 1 and are due by December 12. Jonathan Shaw made a motion that the new DRB will be 7 members with an alternate. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. The preliminary audit “management discussion and analysis” was reviewed. A list of questions was discussed and will be forwarded to the audit company.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates: The Town consulting engineers Dubois and King should have the last permit by December 14 and an ad for bids is anticipated for January 11 with final bids requested by February 10. This should mean that construction will really happen in 2017, barring any unforeseen delays.
B. VLCT had had several requests about special events ordinances and will be drafting a suggested template in the future.
C. Having South Hero shotgun only during hunting season was brought up. It was agreed to table this for now and add it to future agenda when budgeting is done so that there will be more time for a discussion.
8. Other Business:
A. Carol Tremble made a motion to sign the order 17-09/17-10/17-11 and pay the bills associated with said order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
B. The SHVFD got a variance to not install a sprinkler system in the future fire/rescue station.
C. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into executive session at 9:25 to discuss a legal matter. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried. Executive session ended 9:41. Upon exiting executive session, Carol Tremble made a motion to accept the draft “stipulation and agreement as to property tax status” and to sign it when some typos are corrected, and to also accept and sign the “good neighbor agreement” from Camp Takumta. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
D. Note: There will be not be a regular meeting on December 26, 2016. There will be a special meeting on December 19, 2016 instead.
-Skip Brown made a motion to adjourn 9:45 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard – November 14, 2016
1. Ad for DRB members published in the November 1, 2016 issue of the Islander and posted in Town. Have additional copies and looking for additional suggestions for possible members – business owners from either of the two villages?
2. Replaced the printer in the zoning office. New Epson printer $199.00 with an additional $30 warrant. Ink will be less expensive than the HP. Will scan/print up to 17”x11” to meet Development Regulations requirements. Budget was $300.
3. Park and Ride entrance/exit completed – parking area leveled and resurfaced with gravel; horseshoe drive graded and graveled; trees and brush cleared (except where VEC will clear within their ROW); signs to be ordered and installed; currently working with VEC to install light.
4. Grand Isle County Park and Ride Scoping Study Committee meeting Nov. 17, 2016, 6:30 – 8 at North Hero Elementary School. Have contacted NRPC for details.
5. Note from Sarah Jarvis at VLCT in response to my request for a template for a “special events” ordinance. This has been requested by several Town and VLCT has decided to develop a model ordinance regulating special events. VLCT will let me know when it is completed; (est. time?).
6. Earlier violation at Keeler Bay Campground and Marina has been remedied.
7. All permits for Kamp Takumta have been reviewed and remaining permits needed will be applied for and fees paid (a shed at the pool, a play house, the balance of tennis court/basketball court area, and the ropes course). Still need to measure the ropes course.
8. Update on response from VTrans to the SB’s letter.
9. Request update on breezeway for the front door?
Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment
• Complete CU and SP hearing for Zlotoff Tool Museum on November 16.
• Requirement in Sec.610 of the Development Regulation re: seasonal conversions (610.2) has been put on hold until the PC can further review and clarify.
• Joint ZBA/PC hearing for Conditional Use and Site Plan review for Zlotoff Tool Museum recessed on October 19 and will re-convene on 11/16.