Regular Meeting of July 25, 2016
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Carol Tremble, George Rice, Anne Zolotas
Board Members Not Present:
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Martha Taylor-Varney, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Skip Brown made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of July 11, 2016 as corrected. The motion was seconded, George Rice abstained, the others so voted and the motion carried. The correction is that Powel is spelled Powell, and that the 2nd word “credit” in 5B is changed to “refund”.
4. Public input:
A. Pauline Bushway was present to discuss the fact that the rescue squad had trouble finding her house at 17 Lake Drive in the Shadowland section of South Hero. The roads in Shadowland are private and signage is light, plus the fact that some roads appear to be driveways. Since the roads are private, the Town does not maintain them or the signs. Ms. Bushway will buy a street sign and the Town road crew will install it, but there is nothing else that the Town has responsibility for. The formation of a road association within Shadowland was suggested.
B. Dave Hobbs, chair of the Recreation Commission was present to discuss the fact the Tryathalon will be held on August 28 at White’s Beach. West Shore Rd. will be closed near White’s Beach from approx. 10:00am to 12:00pm. A sheriff deputy will be present to during this time and volunteers will help direct traffic.
5. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. George Rice made a motion to take no action on the Vanderer family request to join with them on an amendment request to the Shoreland Protection department concerning the old railroad berm on abutting properties on Route 2 at Keeler Bay. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. Martha had a meeting with Mandy Hotchkiss of Blue Paddle Bistro regarding special events. More discussion with the Planning Commission and the Zoning Board will be ongoing. Also, contact will be made to DLC for clarification on the existing liquor license and if it carries to special events. Mandy will come to the August 8 Selectboard meeting for further discussion.
D. Anne Zolotas made a motion to charge a fee of $20.00 to supply a Certificate of Compliance when requested. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
E. ZA Martha Taylor-Varney will be out of the office Sept 8-19.
6. New Business:
A. Luke Tremble, Library Trustee, gave a quarterly report:
– The Library hopes to build a building and move to a new location. They are planning to fund a new building with private donations. A 501c-3 has been set up. Fundraising is beginning and a few large donations are pending. Some questions still need clarification, such as who will own this building if it is built.
-The attendance of the Library is up so far this summer.
B. Kris Bowser, Chair of the School Board gave a quarterly report:
-The school received at $94,000.00 bequest and that money is being used to upgrade the gym with new flooring, new lighting and hopefully new stage curtains is if there is enough money left over after other upgrades.
-There was a surplus from last year’s budget due to changes in special ed. Electrical upgrades are being made and other deferred maintenance items are being addressed with that money.
-There is a new principal.
-Act 46 discussions are still occurring. The K-8 vs. K-6 models discussions are ongoing. There will be another Act 46 public information session on August 6 at 10:00am at Folsom, and a non-binding vote on August 9, 2016.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates: nothing new for now.
B. Re. the Zlotoff Foundation real estate tax appeal: Martha reported that Conditional use and site plan review will be scheduled for the “tool museum” on the Apple Island property.
C. The issues at the proposed park and ride on the salt shed property have been resolved, so now the PC can continue their process.
D. George Rice made a motion to continue general discussions with Grand Isle for possible combined services when situations arise. The motion was seconded, 2 voted no and 3 voted yes and the motion carried.
8. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to sign orders 17-03 and 16-26A and pay the bills associated with said orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
-Skip Brown made a motion to adjourn 8:55 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
TOWN OF SOUTH HERO Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard July 25,2016
1. Tool Museum – will be contacting me to schedule CU and SP combined hearings to get appropriate approvals.
2. VEC will remove the tree discussed on Station Rd. Want to contact landowner before scheduling. Ann is doing that.
3. Town advertisement for ZBA members. 3-year terms for Ross Brown (finishing term of George Rice, Paula Delano, Jim Baker, and alternate Alayne Rabow end in October. What date for deadline to respond?
4. SB policy on length of office visits.
5. August 8 meeting with Taylor Newton of NRPC to discuss the pro’s/cons of a DRB.
6. Vanderer request that Town write a letter supporting their proposal for an amendment to the Shoreland Protection Act regarding Shoreland’s denial of their permit application to remove the RR berm on their property.
7. Report on discussion with Mandy Hotchkiss of Blue Paddle Bistro in regards to an August 7, 2016 fundraiser at the restaurant.
8. Suggested future discussion – Town Ordianance for Special events (SB), or conditional use and site plan approvals (PC and ZBA)?
Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment
• Deliberations for Island Physical Therapy CU, SP, and related Variance request ongoing.
• 2-lot subdivision and boundary adjustment Final Plat review with Planning Commission on Aug 3.
• Combined hearing for CU and SP (MKN, LLC) approval for a Planned Unit Development to include a Fire Station, Community Library, and office building at 260 US Rt 2 held on July 13. A site visit has been scheduled for Aug 3 at 6PM, and a continuation of the combined review scheduled for Tuesday, Aug 23. Vtrans will attend this hearing to answer questions about the proposed shared entrance and concerns about the speed limit in that area.