Regular Meeting of July 11, 2016
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Carol Tremble
Board Members Not Present: George Rice, Anne Zolotas
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Martha Taylor-Varney, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Skip Brown made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of June 27, 2016 as corrected. The motion was seconded, the others so voted and the motion carried. The correction is that the proposed Vermont Green Line DEVCO LLC. and the proposed TDI cable under Lake Champlain passing South Hero are separate projects.
4. Public input:
A. Town Lister Cecile Gove updated the Board on a new policy about adjusting taxes after April 1 but before tax bills are sent when there is major change, such as a fire. Carol Tremble made a motion to accept the errors and omissions on the Brooks/Powel property, since there is a change in value due to the fire. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
5. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. Jonathan Shaw made a motion to give credit for prior square footage permit fees for when a structure is rebuilt due to a fire or natural disaster and the footprint is changed. If the new structure is smaller than the prior structure, no credit will be given. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
C. ZA Martha Taylor-Varney will be out of the office Sept 8-19.
6. New Business:
A. Carol Tremble made a motion to set the Town portion of the 2016/2017 tax rate at 0.301642. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. FYI, the school portion set by the State is 1.523 for residential and 1.5215 for non-residential, so the total residential tax rate is 1.824642 and the total non-residential tax rate is 1.823142.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates: Chris Lathrop is our new consulting engineer from Dubois and King. Staff, Sterling Management LLC will be the on site project engineer when the project starts and the wetland permit has been warned.
B. Nothing new for the Zlotoff Foundation real estate tax appeal.
C. The old underground storage tank that was recently discovered at the salt shed property was reported to the State. More info to follow.
D. The “Shared Service Agreement/Memorandum of Understanding” drawn up by Bill Baron of the Grand Isle Selectboard was discussed. No written agreement is necessary to have insurance coverage.
8. Other Business:
A. Carol Tremble made a motion to sign orders 17-02 and pay the bills associated with said orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
B. VEC will cut a tree on Station Road and the Town will remove the debris.
C. A letter was sent to the Sandbar State Park advising them to not recommend White’s Beach to their patrons.
D. Skip Brown made a motion to raise hourly employee wages 2% and to raise the salaried employee wages to the amount budgeted. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Carol Tremble made a motion to adjourn 8:20 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard July 11,2016
- Response from VTrans re: parking on US Rt. 2 within the village.
- Tool Museum – had a phone message today from Paul Zlotoff. Trying to connect. Signs were not up this weekend, but were over the July 4 weekend. Phone message from Chris Anderson (manager of the resort) says they will no longer be up.
- VEC will remove the tree discussed on Station Rd. Do not have date yet; putting it on their schedule. Confirm that the Town will clean it up.
- What is Town’s procedure for building permit fees when re-building after a fire, flood, act of God, etc? Waive permit fee for Brooks/Powell?
- Conditions related to parking at Keeler Bay Campground and Marina. James Montani claims they have not met the conditions re: parking. Area has been inspected. ZA’s responsibilities to act on a zoning complaint vs. at what point does it become unnecessary?
- Received information from NRPC regarding Vermont Residential Building Energy Code. Statute enacted in 2015 but Towns not notified. Require signed certificate that must be recorded. Not currently in Development Regulations (will be included in update). Have printed out information to include with the building permit. Cannot force homeowner to comply.
- Request of Providence Island Association for permission to park cars, on occasion, at White’s Beach when the Association’s lot at Lakeview and West Shore Rd. is at capacity.
Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Continuation of combined hearing for CU and SP (Island Physical Therapy) scheduled for July 13. A request for variance will be conducted prior to the completion of the CU and SP.
- Combined hearing for CU and SP (MKN, LLC) approval for a Planned Unit Development to include a Fire Station, Community Library, and office building at 260 US Rt 2, scheduled for July 13.
- Fire Dept. representatives will meet with the Planning Commission at their July 20 meeting to discuss private road and driveway standards.
- 2-lot subdivision and boundary adjustment Final Plat review with Planning Commission on Aug 3.