Special Meeting of December 19, 2016
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), George Rice, Anne Zolotas, Carol Tremble
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Martha Varney, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of December 12, 2016 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
5. Public input:
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. A written report was submitted. A hard copy with discussion points can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
7. New Business:
A. The following 10 people applied for the new Development Review Board (DRB). They are (in no particular order): Nate Hayward, Ross Brown, Sherry Corbin, James Baker, Paula Delano, Robert Krebs, Tim Maxham, Gareth Hunt, Alayne Rabow, and Doug Patterson. Each applicant expressed a desire to be on the DRB and explained their reasons why. The DRB will consist of a total of 9 people: 7 members with 2 alternates. This Board will discuss these applicants later in this meeting. See “Other business”- B below.
B. The following budget requests were presented. Note that no budgets are final until voted on at Town Meeting Day:
-Kim Julow, SHVFD Chief, presented the budget of $82,800.00. Note that this is less than last year due to the fact that a fire truck bond has been paid off.
-Jan Marinelli of the LCIEDC presented a request for $1600.00. This is an increase of $100.00 from last year. LCIEDC provides support to Grand Isle County businesses.
-David Hobbs, chairman of the Recreation Commission presented a budget of $11,000.00. This is the same amount as last year.
8. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street reconstruction project from Landon to Martin Roads updates: The bid process was explained and a prospective timeline was discussed. A hard copy of this timeline can be seen in Town Hall filed with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
B. Ken Kowalewitz of the Library Trustees discussed a proposed article. The Community Library trustees are considering presenting an article to dissolve the Community Library designation and form a Municipal Library structure.
9. Other Business:
A. LCATV filmed this meeting and will be filming future meetings. Visit www.lcatv.org to view.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into executive session at 8:45 pm to discuss personnel matters involving the DRB applicants. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
Executive session ended at 9:04 pm. Upon exiting executive session, George Rice made a motion to appoint the following to the DRB as full members: Nate Hayward, Ross Brown, Sherry Corbin, Paula Delano, Tim Maxham, Gareth Hunt and Doug Patterson, and to appoint James Baker and Robert Krebs as alternates.
C. George Rice made a motion to adopt the Town of South Hero Selectboard Resolution forming the DRB and naming the individuals and terms therein, to be effective January 1, 2017. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried. A hard copy of this resolution can be seen in Town Hall filed and with these minutes or on www.southherovt.org.
D. Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the revised bid from Cedar Ledge Builders for the windbreak to the west side of the Town hall landing. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted, and the motion carried.
E. The financing and term of the new fire/rescue building was discussed. More information will be at a future meeting so the board know how to budget for this.
-Carol Tremble made a motion to adjourn 9:32 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Jonathan Shaw, Chair
TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard December 19, 2016
1. All signs are now installed at the Park and Ride. Will contact Bob Buermann (Grand Isle Regional Planning Rep), Sen. Dick Mazza, and talk to Planning Commission for next step in publicizing it. Shield on light will be installed within the next few weeks.
2. South Street –
• Coordinating with JoAnne Fryer of CDL for bid advertisement. She will write the ad. It must be approved by VTrans (Ande DeForge) prior to submission.
• Will include on Town website (send to Skip?), Islander and/or Messenger, vtbidsystem.com, Works in Progress, and Regional Planning to meet 1/11/17 advertising date. Ads in the paper will include a link to the full document.
• I have created a user acct in my name for electronic posting on vtbidsystem.com.
• Must also post electronically for Works in Progress – I will do this.
• Pre-bid meeting scheduled for 1/25/17 at Town Office – 1PM
• Bid opening scheduled 2/9/17 at Town Office – 2PM (changed from 2/10)
Planning Commission: Cancelled December 21, 2016 meeting.
Development Review Board: Will have mandatory training scheduled for January 11, 2017 with NRPC at 7PM. DRB members from Grand Isle and North Hero have been invited.