Regular Meeting of November 24, 2014
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas, Jonathan Shaw
Board Members Not Present: Chris Herrick, Carol Tremble
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Acting Chairman Jonathan Shaw at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Add VNA budget request to New Business.
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meetings of November 10, 2014 as written. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. Jim Manahan of the Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) was present to ask for Town funds for a percentage of the unreimbursed funds necessary for care. Last year, the VNA cared for 63 South Hero residents with home health care or hospice care. The budget amount the VNA is asking for is $8645.00.
B. Ruth Wallman of the Lake Champlain Islands Economic Development Corporation(LICEDC) was present to ask for a budget amount of $1500.00 to support the work that they do in the Islands. She also advised that there will be an “Islands Summit” on December 9, 2014 to plan for a shared vision for the whole Island community.
-Note that the budget amounts asked for by any group or association will be discussed during the Selectboard Town budget process and that the final budget will be voted on by the residents in March of 2015.
6. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South St. project updates:
– At a previous meeting the suggestion of putting a 3 way stop at Landon Rd. and South St. was brought up. The State district traffic agency sent a letter to the Town stating that stop signs may not be used for speed control and that they may not be warranted for this intersection.
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to approve the “South Hero-STP SHST (1), South Hero Improvement Project” resolution to continue with the project. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. A condemnation hearing has been scheduled for January 8, 2015 for any property owners who have not signed the right of way agreement.
B. Sandy Gregg of the Lavin Property Working Group (LPWG) was not present, but submitted a written report that is available in Town Hall for review. One suggestion in the report is to have a public forum in January to discuss the property. The School appears to mostly booked most evenings. It is suggested by the Board that perhaps the large upper classroom could be booked in the school. If that is not feasible, to hold the hearing at town hall on a night when there are no other meetings scheduled.
7. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. Michel Cypes is on vacation, so no report this meeting.
- Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to sign the order #15-11 and pay the bills associated with said order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Tim Maxham, chairman of the ZBA pointed out that the terms for Town boards and commissions begin and end during a certain month, but are not date specific. It was suggested that a term begin on the first of a month and end on the last day of the month before the next term. The Selectboard is fine with that suggestion, and since the bylaws are not specific, the Town Report will be changed to reflect this.
C. There will not be a “5th Monday” meeting on December 29, 2014.
-Skip Brown made a motion to adjourn 8:10 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Chris Herrick, Chair