Regular Meeting of August 11, 2014
South Hero Town Hall, Monday 7:00 PM
Board Members Present: Chris Herrick, Jonathan Shaw, Skip Brown (also Board Secretary), Anne Zolotas
Board Members Not Present: Carol Tremble
Others Present: Sharon Roy, Town Clerk and Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Assistant. Also see sign in sheet.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Chris Herrick at 7:00 pm.
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
– Anne Zolotas made a motion to accept the minutes of the meeting of July 28, 2014 as written.
The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. June Golato of the Green Mountain Athletic Association (GMAA) was present to discuss the running of the GMAA Marathon on October 12, 2014. Anne Zolotas made a motion to allow the running of the race on Town roads and to close South Street between Folsom and West Shore Rd. between 8:15 and 8:45 on October 12. The motion was seconded, all so voted and the motion carried.
- Jerry Werle asked about the paving money article and where that paving may occur. Right now, there are probably no plans to pave any gravel roads in Town. This money plus the money in the general road budget will, most likely, be used to repave South St. from Route 2-Landon Rd. He suggested that in the future, the article be reworded so that there is not confusion between paving and repaving.
– He also suggested that there are errors on the Homestead regulation for some residents listed on the new town appraisal summary. This Homestead regulation is up to the State and any discrepancies should be directed to them.
-He noted that people park under the no parking sign at White’s Beach. The Selectboard can suggest to the Sheriff that areas be patrolled, but that residents should call the Sheriff when they see illegal activities.
C. Rick Bellows of John Stark Rd. was present to discuss the fact that he feels that the revised painting on Route 2 is making it unsafe to turn onto and off of the road. Several other residents at this meeting also have concerns about the new pattern. The consensus of the Board is that there may be an unsafe situation, and that Chairman Chris Herrick will write a letter to VTrans and ask them to review the revised painting. Should any changes be made, VTrans will be asked to hold a public hearing on the matter.
- Sandy Gregg said that the “STOP” sign at Kibbe Farm Rd. onto Kibbe Point Rd. is faded and illegible. Anne Zolotas will ask the road dept. to change it.
- Glen Wright thinks that bicyclists are not following traffic rules and signs. It was suggested that residents should call the Sheriff when they see illegal or unsafe activities. He previously volunteered to mow the trail at the South Hero Recreation Park (behind Folsom), but he is not comfortable mowing it in the future.
F. Jerry Baker said that there was a camper parked at White’s Beach. He does not know if was there overnight, which is not allowed. It was suggested that residents should call the Sheriff when they see illegal activities. Also, he is having an issue with a neighbor putting a driveway over a septic easement. This is not a Selectboard matter and suggestions were made on how to resolve the situation.
5. New Business:
- Jay Buermann of Buermann Engineering explained how the State requires a form letter called “Notice of Overshadowing at the Time of Application for a Wastewater and Potable Water Supply Permit” be sent to abutting landowners when an application for the “State of Vermont Wastewater and Potable Water Supply Permit” is applied for. This is why some landowners on South Street received this letter. The Town did not apply for a permit. No matter who applies for the permit, it is a State requirement for any “overshadowed” landowners.
B. The Board worked on updating the Emergency Operations Plan for the Town.
- The State has not sent the Town our share of the tax rate, so the rate will be set at a future meeting.
6. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. South Street update: Evan Detrick has begun meeting with some residents. It is hoped that a Board member can be present for the meetings.
7. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. See the written report available in Town Hall for discussion points.
- Other Business:
A. Jonathan Shaw made a motion to sign the order #15-04 and pay the bills associated with said order. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Anne Zolotas made a motion to enter executive session for a legal matter at 8:50 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. The executive session ended at 8:55 pm. No action was taken after the executive session.
-Jonathan Shaw made a motion to adjourn 8:57 pm. The motion was seconded all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown Chris Herrick, Chair