SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES March 20, 2019
Members Present: S. Gregg (Vice-Chair); D. Roy; B. Kerr; M. Gammal
Member Absent: D. Patterson (Chair)
Public Present: Tim Maxham; Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA)
7:04 PM – S. Gregg called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
The distribution of the final draft of the Development Regulations update was postponed in order to allow for additional discussion on proposed Article 5 (re: Non-conforming Structures).
There was none.
Discussion on proposed Section 505.D and Figure 5.2
Additional edits were made to the text regarding non-conforming structures and clarifying how height and volume are used in interpreting increasing/ reducing the degree of non-conformity of a structure within a setback. The term ‘volume’ had been removed when the Regulations were last amended in 2013, leaving only ‘height’ in the description. It was recommended to put ‘volume’ back and clarify when an increase in volume is or is not allowed. The Commission asked if NRPC could simplify Figure 5.2 to make it more user-friendly by including additional labeling of setback lines, and “allowed” and “not allowed” arrows for clarity. Martha will meet with NRPC next week and come back to the April 3 meeting with changes for the Commission to review.
Review Revised Sign Ordinance
- Kerr and M. Gammal incorporated the changes and suggestions from the last review into a new draft. Discussion included internally-lit signs, public- and community-event signs, the height of signs, and temporary signs. The Commission members agreed that a waiver to any of the regulations set by the Ordinance could be requested of the Selectboard in the event that compliance was problematic. Martha will make edits and present a final draft at the April 3rd PC meeting.
- Gammal moved to approve the minutes from March 6, 2019, with corrections; B. Kerr second. All in favor.
At an upcoming meeting S. Gregg will be asking the Planning Commission to support an application for a grant for MKN, LLC to install Electric Vehicle charging stations at the new Library location.
- There will be a public hearing at the April 3, 2019 PC meeting conducted by Cathedral Square regarding a proposal to apply for a $60,000 Vermont Community Development Program grant to evaluate the feasibility of developing new, affordable senior rental housing in South Hero. The Town of South Hero will be the Applicant. The public is encouraged to attend to express opinions and ask questions.
- At the May 1st PC meeting the commission will meet with DRB members and Taylor Newton from NRPC to begin discussions on possible options for future funding of municipal wastewater in South Hero village. The discussion will continue on a ‘5th Monday’ meeting July 29, 2019 with the PC, DRB, and Selectboard.
- Commission members received their yearly stipend checks for serving on the Planning Commission. Annual stipends for DRB and Planning Commission members of $150 were approved by the voters at Town meeting in March 2017.
8:50 PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; M. Gammal second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ________________________________________Date: _______________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.