SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION SPECIAL MEETING MINUTES June 15, 2016
Including Combined Review with ZBA
PC Members Present: G. Delano; D. Patterson; S. Gregg; S. O’Flaherty
PC Member Absent: D. Roy
Public Present: Janine Bellinghiri (Applicant); Jay Buermann; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
ZBA Members Present: T. Maxham; P. Delano; R. Brown; K. Goodwin; J. Fetsch
7:00 PM – T. Maxham called the meeting to order for both Boards.
Changes to the Agenda
There were no changes to the agenda.
7:10 PM – Island Physical Therapy request for a Change in Conditional Use and Site Plan Approval (Combined Review application #16-52-RT323B) to convert a pre-existing 3BR residence into a physical therapy office
- Maxham announced that there was a quorum present for both Boards. He reviewed the procedure for a combined review, explaining that the ZBA would conduct their Conditional Use Review, followed by the Planning Commission’s Site Plan Review. Both boards would open their hearings at the same time. T. Maxham opened the ZBA hearing; G. Delano opened the Planning Commission hearing. The warning was read and Interested Persons sworn in. T. Maxham requested a site visit following the Applicant’s presentation.
Janine explained to the Boards that she needs to move her business, Island Physical Therapy, to a new location. She has purchased a 3BR home located at 323 US Rt 2 in South Hero village (the abutting property to the west of her home). She plans to use the first floor for her office and the second floor for storage. The property will need both a parking lot and ramp that are ADA compliant. The property currently has 2 accesses onto US Rt 2. VTrans is requiring that the access on the east side of the structure be discontinued, and the west-side access be widened to 24-feet. Jay Buermann explained they have a Letter of Intent, but VTrans will not issue an access permit until all other approvals are completed. Vermont Electric Co-op has re-routed overhead utilities from the pole across the street directly to the building.
Public hours of operation will be 8AM to 8PM, six days a week. Business-support hours (closed to the public outside of the aforementioned “public hours of operation”) will be 7AM to 10:30PM, 7 days a week. There will be 3 parking spaces (1 handicap), with peak traffic flow of 2 cars per hour. An ADA compliant ramp will be constructed with access to the parking area. This ramp may require a variance, prompting an additional hearing with the ZBA. The parking area will have room for garbage, UPS, and CIDER vehicles to turn around.
An existing drainage system and dry well from an accessory structure on the west side of the lot will be filled in. The wastewater permit has been approved for the Change of Use. The current front entrance will remain as an emergency exit, but the main entrance will be at the back of the building. Janine gave the Board a dimensional drawing for a free-standing sign. There are no plans for any future residential use of the property.
7:30 PM – K. Goodwin moved to recess for the site visit; P. Delano second. All in favor.
7:50 PM – J. Fetsch moved to re-convene the hearing; K. Goodwin second. All in favor.
Jay explained that the site plan shows an original boundary line that used to exist between the residence at 323 US Rt. 2 and what is now an accessory structure to the west of the house.
8:00PM – The hearing was turned over to the Planning Commission for Site Plan Review.
The current Site Plan does not show existing structures or access points to US Rt. 2 on adjacent properties across the road. Jay will ask for a waiver from showing contours on the site plan.
8:09 PM – D. Patterson moved to accept the waiver request; S. O’Flaherty 2nd. All in favor.
The anticipated completion date is Nov/Dec 2016. Lighting will be located at the parking lot, the entrances, and the ramp. The sign will have downward-directed lighting. The Applicant intends to add landscaping in order to maintain the appearance of a residence.
The current approval is for 4 parking spaces. The VTrans requirement to reduce the number of accesses results in approval for 3 parking spaces, meeting the requirements of Table 5.1. The Applicant does not anticipate needing to expand that number in the future.
The Commission cannot accept the site plan review as complete until the issue of the ADA ramp (and whether it needs a variance) is resolved and is correctly located on the Plan.
8:32 PM – J. Fetsch moved to enter the revised Site Plan (date 5/6/16) as Exhibit #1; K. Goodwin second. All in favor.
8:33 PM – J. Fetsch moved to enter the dimensional drawing for a sign titled “Island Physical Therapy” as Exhibit #2; K. Goodwin second. All in favor.
8:35 PM – J. Fetsch moved to recess the ZBA Conditional Use hearing to July 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM; R. Brown second. All in favor.
8:36 PM – D. Patterson moved to recess the Planning Commission’s Site Plan Review to July 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM; S. Gregg second. All in favor.
There was no public input.
- Gregg moved to accept the minutes from the June 9, 2016 Special Meeting; S. O’Flaherty second. All in favor.
Administrative Officer’s Report
- The Planning Commission will meet 3 times in July:
- July 6, 2 016 with NRPC to continue discussion on the Development Regulations updates.
- July 13, 2016 for a continuation of the recessed Combined Review with the ZBA for Island Physical Therapy; followed by a Combined Review (as yet confirmed) for Conditional Use and Site Plan approval for the proposed Fire Dept., Library, and office building by NKM, LLC at 260 US Rt 2.
- July 20, 2016 for a 2-lot Subdivision and Boundary Adjustment (as yet confirmed).
- The Planning Commission contact person for the proposed Park and Ride will be Doug Patterson.
- An underground tank was discovered at the proposed Park and Ride location on Rt 2. Plans are being made to test the contents. There is some recollection that it may have been a water tank used for a stone-crushing operation prior to the State’s ownership. Once the contents are tested, appropriate removal plans will be made.
- In response to a request from S. Gregg as to whether VTrans intends to install sidewalks at the Rt 314/US Rt 2 intersection during planned upgrades (final copies being sent to the T own Office once they are complete), VTrans confirmed they do not intend to include sidewalks at this time. Scheduled upgrades are currently set for 2019.
- The ZA attended the Spring Zoning and Planning Seminar sponsored by VLTC in Fairlee on June 15.
The ZBA and Planning Commission thanked Sandra O’Flaherty for her service on the Planning Commission. Her current term expires at the end of June, and she chose to retire for the time being (with hints that she may be back!). Doug Patterson has been re-appointed by the Selectboard for another 3-year term, and Regan Henry has been appointed by the Selectboard to replace Sandra for a 3-year term.
There was additional discussion on procedure for combined reviews with an intention to continue the discussion further at a 5th-Monday meeting with the ZBA/Planning Commission/Selectboard.
8:58 PM — D. Patterson moved to adjourn; S. Gregg second. All in favor.
Signed: ________________________________________ Date: ____________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.