South Hero Planning Commission Draft Minutes July 6, 2016
Members Present: D. Patterson; G. Delano; S. Gregg; D. Roy
Members Absent: R. Henry
Public Present: Greta Brunswick, NRPC; Taylor Newton, NRPC; Jeff Sikora
7:02 – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.
There were no changes to the agenda.
- Delano moved to accept the minutes from June 15, 2016, as amended; S. Gregg 2nd. All in favor.
NRPC – Development Regulations Updates: Specific Uses
Greta Brunswick presented draft language for Section 6 (Specific Uses and Structures) in addition to a proposed Table of Contents for the document that give an outline of all the proposed changes and the order in which they will appear in the new version. Specific page numbers will correlate with the sections as they are updated.
Draft changes included deletions of some current content under Accessory Dwellings, but it was agreed that additional language needs to be added to Accessory Dwellings to Farm Operations (Sec. 601.B.2) regarding standards for bunk houses. Additional discussion included the definition of “small ag” and what constitutes an agricultural use under which an Accessory Dwelling to Farm Operations would apply; whether the ZBA has the responsibility to regulate various aspects related to explosives associated with earth resource extraction (Sec. 602.D.5); and Fences (Sec 603) – height limits?, specific zones only that would require permits?
Considerable discussion centered on the definitions of Home Business, Home Occupation, and Home Industry (Sec. 604) with the Commission agreeing to add a list to the regulations in this section giving examples of each in addition to the definitions. Language on signage will include reference to one exterior sign. All other content regarding signs will be removed from the Regulations and included in a sign ordinance.
Discussion on Lake Access Structures (Sec. 605) included visual impact, square footage, lighting, lake level, and flood hazard review. The Commission agreed there would be no changes to Public Facilities (Sec. 607) and Telecommunication Facilities (Sec. 609). The Commission discussed whether the Regulations need to include requirements for upgrades to roads and driveways for Seasonal Conversions (Sec. 608), with particular attention given to the width of Rights-of-Way.
There was considerable discussion regarding window coverage and results from the Visual Preference Survey from the May 18, 2016 Public Forum, with attention to commercial structure vs. residential building window standards. It was decided to regulate only the front façade of buildings, recommending 30% window coverage per story.
Jeff Sikora asked about the regulation of shooting ranges. Greta recommended those be regulated by Town ordinance.
- Upcoming hearing schedule:
- July 13 – ZBA Variance request followed by the re-convened combined review (ZBA and Planning Commission) for conditional use and site plan approval for Island Physical Therapy. Combined Review for conditional use and site plan approval for MKN, LLC for the proposed Fire Dept./Community Library/Office Building.
- July 20, 2016 – Planning Commission Sketch Plan Review for a boundary adjustment and 2-lot subdivision for Nate and Katherine Hayward.
- August 3, 2016 – Final Plat review for Hayward boundary adjustment and 2-lot subdivision.
- Discussion regarding requirements for a Certificate of Occupancy.
- Scheduling options for the Commission to meet with the Fire Dept. to discuss road and driveway standards.
- Question to VTrans on whether the Town can regulate parking on Rt. 2 in the village. Waiting for a response from the State.
- The Tool Museum at Apple Island resort has not received conditional use approval to be open to the public. The structure is currently only approved for storage.
- Discussion regarding the review requirements for adding a drive-up window for future use at the current location of Wally’s Bagels.
- Clarification on the proper location of fencing when a septic easement exists.
9:30PM – T. Delano moved to adjourn; S. Gregg second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, South Hero Zoning Administrator
Signed: ___________________________________________ Date: ______________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.