TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
February 18, 2015 Meeting Minutes
Planning Commission Members Present: George (Terry) Delano, Doug Patterson, Sandra O’Flaherty, Sandy Gregg and David Roy
Planning Commission Members Absent:
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Others present from the sign in sheet: Jeff Sikora, Sharen Chadwick, Robert Straight and Tim Maxham
7:00PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Terry Delano.
7:01PM Additions or Deletions to the Agenda were solicited. None were requested.
7:01PM: RT275-15-02PC – Martin & Patricia Lavin, Final Subdivision Application to create 1 new lot with remaining land at 275 U.S. Route 2. Terry Delano read the hearing notice.
People were sworn in. Jeff Sikora testified the following:
- The plans have been updated as required by the preliminary approval.
- Construction for the road will not occur until the summer or when the ground dries. The timing to require finalization of the easement was discussed.
- The access easement from South Street shown on VHB plan is leftover from a prior design. The plan was only included to provide information on the wetland locations.
Staff read and the Commission reviewed the Staff report.
7:13PM A motion to approve a waiver for the plat to be at a 1”=200’ scale and to not require a vicinity map on the plans was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Douglas Patterson and approved unanimously.
Public Comment: Robert Straight requested and received a clarification of the hearings role and subdivision on Vermont Electrical Coop’s development and proposed septic systems.
The Planning Commission stated their concerned that there is a note on the survey plan stating that the plan is “not a survey’, which suggests that the Surveyor does not wish to be responsible for the information on the plan. It was noted that the plan was signed and stamped by the Surveyor and there were other notes on the plan describing it as a survey. Another concern raised was that the date by the stamp was older than the date in the title block, which the two should be the same.
7:26PM: A motion to accept the application as complete with conditions was made by Douglas Patterson, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:26PM: A motion to close the hearing for deliberative session was made by David Roy, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:27PM: Public Input:
- Jeff Sikora requested clarification on Section 404A1 of the South Hero Development Regulations. Can preexisting nonconforming structures with insufficient setbacks be administratively permitted with greater volume on the same or smaller footprint and to the same or smaller building height? After review of the regulations and some discussion the Commission said such development is administratively approvable.
- Tim Maxham, Chair of the Zoning Board of Adjustment, discussed having the agenda for the 5th Monday Town meeting scheduled for March 30th be to discuss Town Plan. The Commission agreed.
7:42PM: A motion was made to approve the Minutes for February 4, 2015 with one edit by Sandy Gregg, seconded by Sandra O’Flaherty and approved unanimously.
7:43PM: Administrative Officer’s Report included the following:
- A follow-up on the proposed boundary adjustment that would involve 2 properties with nonconforming areas, Staff recommended that an easement, which does not require a zoning permit, could accomplish what they hope to do. The Commission agreed.
- On March 4th is scheduled a Site Plan application for an independent structure for a property on Landon Road.
- Potentially there could be a Conditional Use and Site Plan application scheduled for March 18th for parcel FR033.
- In the mail for the Commission was additional notice of the Lake Champlain electric line and notice of an application for Keeler Bay Campground with ANR’s Shoreland Division.
7:53PM: Town Plan: Incorporation of recent edits, placement of additional energy use required text, coverage of community areas and Town services requirement, and coordination of the review by the Regional Planning Commission and the Selectboard were discussed.
8:12PM: The Commission deliberated application RT275-15-02PC.
8:29PM: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.
For Planning Commission