TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
August 19, 2015 Meeting Minutes – Draft
Planning Commission Members Present: George (Terry) Delano, Doug Patterson, Sandra O’Flaherty, Sandy Gregg and David Roy
Planning Commission Members Absent: None
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Public present: Paula Delano after 7:10PM
7:00PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Doug Patterson.
7:00PM Additions or Deletions to the Agenda were solicited. The Park and Ride grant status was added to the agenda.
7:04PM: Public Input: No Public input was presented.
7:05PM: A motion was made to approve the Minutes for August 5, 2015 by Terry Delano, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:05PM: Town Plan update: Northwest Regional Planning and the Vermont Department of Housing and Community Development have confirmed receipt of the Selectboard approved Town Plan update. A certification package for the Town Clerk to sign is being prepared.
7:10PM: Municipal Planning Grant: The list of FY2015 grant recipients was reviewed by the Commission. The Commission considered the possibilities of either working with regional planning or a consultant. The Commission decided that they would like to review Wolcott, Chelsea and Bethel applications from last year. Staff will work to acquire copies of these applications. Staff will also provide the Commission a copy of the Municipal Planning Grant application submitted 2 years ago by the Town. The Commission is proposing to apply for a grant for updating the Town Development Regulations and incorporate some form based codes.
7:30PM: 5th Monday, August 31, 2015, Selectboard meeting: Proposed agenda items for the meeting would include the following:
- Municipal Planning Grant application: The Commission is proposing to compose a rough draft for review by the Selectboard.
- A proposed sign ordinance: The Commission discussed potential implementation and reviewed some sign ordinances that exist in other Towns.
- Appeal of an Administrative Officer’s decision: The Commission asked Staff to create a handout that describes the process referencing State law for review with the Selectboard.
- Discuss concerns regarding ex-parte communications.
- Park and ride grant status and possible ways to proceed.
8:18PM: Administrative Officer’s Report included the following:
- A discussion with Paula Delano, Secretary of the Zoning Board of Adjustment, regarding a request by the attorneys for Richard and Valerie Swinchoski, and John and Maria Cryan, who are appealing the Conditional Use / Site Plan approval RT238-15-68B, to appeal an informational email from the Administrative Officer, which stated that there was no prohibition in the Town Development Regulations or in the permit approvals for the landowner’s car to park on grass. It was noted that the property is still in residential use.
- Changes to the proposed development on 2 Carter Lane, now 260 U.S. Route 2, were reviewed. The landowners received approval from the Vermont Agency of Transportation for a new entrance to the property from U.S. 2. The landowner currently proposes to leave the first floor of the proposed building vacant and have a medical offices on the second and third floors as the profession office use and replacing the once proposed real estate office use, which is also defined in the Development Regulations as a professional office use. The Commission concluded based on these proposed changes and the past Conditional Use and Site Plan approvals, no additional review by the Zoning Board of Adjustment or Planning Commission is required. It was noted that the approvals required final plans be submitted to the Town prior to the beginning of construction.
- The upcoming hearing schedule, new applications and an upcoming seminar were also discussed.
8:58PM: Certificate of Occupancy form update: Staff suggested several ways, which the form could be updated to conform to new Town policies. The Commission agreed with the ideas and ask Staff to create an updated form for the Commission to review at the next meeting.
9:01PM: Proposed Sign Ordinance: Earlier the Commission received and reviewed other Town sign ordinances. The Commission discussed how to proceed.
9:02PM: Park and Ride: The existing grant status, possible locations for a park and ride, and how to proceed were discussed.
9:09PM: A motion was made to go in to deliberative session by Sandy Gregg, seconded by Sandra O’Flaherty and approved unanimously.
9:19PM: A motion was made to come out of deliberative session by Sandy Gregg, seconded by Terry Delano and approved unanimously.
9:19PM: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Terry Delano, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.