TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
June 4, 2014 Meeting Minutes
Planning Commission Members Present: Jonathan Shaw, George (Terry) Delano, Sandra O’Flaherty, Doug Patterson and Sandy Gregg
Planning Commission Members Absent: None.
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Others Present: Robert Viens, Gunner Olson and Jay Buermann (7:24)
7:02PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Jonathan Shaw.
7:02PM: IS020-14-05PC, Edna Viens Parrott, Sketch Subdivision Plan Application to create 3 new lots with remaining land. Robert Viens and Gunner Olson showed the plans that were submitted, pictures of the existing camp and trailer on the property near iodine Springs Road and testified the following:
- The purpose of the subdivision is to split the property amongst the 4 brothers inheriting the property.
- Existing dwelling is on Fire District 4 water. Proposed wells are shown on Lots 1, 2 and 3.
- Proposed lots 1, 2 and 3 will have frontage along Sunset View Road.
- There is a 50-foot right-of-way shown on the plans that is part of Iodine Springs Road.
- There is another 50-foot right of way that provides access to two existing properties. They are proposing to utilize this driveway for access to proposed lots 2 and 3.
- There is one plan that shows the proposed properties with survey descriptions and another plan that shows the contours, potential house sites and septic systems shown.
- The septic systems are still being designed. The soils are not great, but a septic system can be designed. A compliant proposed septic for lot 4 will be designed and shown on the plans.
The Commission commented on the following:
- That more detail regarding the existing right-of-ways needs to be added to the plans.
- The existing and proposed lots need to be more clearly shown on the plan.
- The survey information, contours, and potential house, septic and water needs to be shown on one plan.
- A proposed road name will be required for the driveway that provides access to two existing properties and proposed lots 2 and 3.
- State water and wastewater permits, and Town highway access permits will be required.
Public Comment: None.
7:28PM: A motion to approve the sketch plan as a major subdivision application that will create three new lots was made by Terry Delano, seconded by Sandra O’Flaherty and approved unanimously.
7:30PM: A motion to accept the application as a complete Sketch Plan was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:31PM: Jay Buermann requested a clarification on the Buermann Family Partnership subdivision application approval. The Commission stated that the proposed hammerhead does need to be built prior to the permitting for an expansion to the existing boat house on lot #2.
7:40PM: The May 21, 2014 draft minutes were reviewed.
7:42PM: A motion to approve the Minutes for May 21, 2014 as corrected was made by Terry Delano, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:44PM: Administrative Officer’s Report discussed the following:
- The effects of H-526 approval and the increased number of permit applications.
- Proposed official Mylar signature stamps were shown, reviewed and edited.
- Concerns regarding DEC water & wastewater’s lack of flood hazard overlay district areas were discussed.
- The Commission provided guidance stating that a driveway placed in the flood hazard overlay district should not be considered a roadway per Section 902B1, but should be considered as fill per Section 902B2.
- Highlights from the Seminar, ‘Downtowns – great places to live and work, but they don’t happen by accident’, was discussed.
8:01PM There was a discussion on permitting requirements for new residences.
8:35PM The Commission deliberated site plan application RT595-14-49B-LaFarr for a proposed used furniture and antiques retail store.
8:46PM A motion to approve site plan application RT595-14-49B-LaFarr with conditions was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
8:47PM There was a discussion on Commission reorganization.
The Commission thanked Jonathan Shaw, whose term is ending and is retiring from Commission, for his service on the commission.
8:55PM: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Doug Patterson and approved unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.
For Planning Commission