TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
December 3, 2014 Meeting Minutes – Draft
Planning Commission Members Present: George (Terry) Delano, Doug Patterson, Sandra O’Flaherty, Sandy Gregg and David Roy
Planning Commission Members Absent: None
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Others present: Jeff Sikora to 7:49PM.
Members of the Zoning Board of Adjustment after 8:34PM: Tim Maxham, Paula Delano, George Rice, Jim Baker and Alayne Rabow.
7:00PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Terry Delano.
7:01PM Additions or Deletions to the Agenda were solicited. None were requested.
7:01PM: RT275-15-02PC, Martin & Patricia Lavin, Sketch Plan Subdivision Application to create 1 new lot with remaining land at 275 U.S. Route 2. The Planning Commission asked Jeff Sikora, who is representing Martin & Patricia Lavin, if there were concerns that 2 members of the Commission are active on the Town’s Lavin Property Working Group. Jeff Sikora stated he did not have any concerns regarding this. Jeff Sikora then stated the following:
- He was concerned that too much information may have been provided. He believes that Vermont Electrical Cooperative (Co-op) should discuss their proposal separately. He said that they were planning to have their information ready for discussion with the Town before the end of the year.
- That the Applicants wish at this time to subdivide the property and not propose any new development.
- A portion of Island Racing’s septic system is on the Lavin property. It was agreed that the easements for the septic system need to be shown on the subdivision plat.
- The proposed access easement for lot #2 is zigzagged to miss Island Racings septic system, some trees and an area that could be a future fire station, and the proposed access easement for lot #2 extends to the existing VELCO right-of-way.
- The State wishes to have the access to U.S. Route 2 near the center of the property.
- The width of proposed lot #1 property in the center between the two larger portions to the north and south is 65 feet, which is larger than the proposed 50 foot right-of-way. An access road placed in this right-of-way to benefit lot #2 could benefit lot #1’s access to the proposed septic leach fields.
- On the plans, the wetlands were only delineated on the northern portion of the property closer to U.S. Route 2 and proposed lot #2, where the solar array is proposed. The wetlands shown on the plans on the southern portion of proposed lot #1 is from State wetland maps and were not physically delineated.
- The location of a fence shown on one of the plans is on proposed lot #2 and not in the proposed 50-foot right-of-way.
- Access for a fire station near the Island Racing property could use Island Racing’s access to U.S. Route 2 to enter the property and not require the trucks to turn around.
The Planning Commission raised the following concerns:
- The location of a septic mound may limit access for proposed lot #1 to the southern part of the property. Jeff Sikora stated the mound is 50 feet from the western property line and that there is a bend in the property line for proposed lot #2 to avoid the septic mound.
- Information, such as proposed roadways, proposed septic systems, wetlands, buffers and floodplain locations that is required to be presented for subdivision review, are on too many other plans, which makes the application too difficult to review, and should be placed on the proposed subdivision plan. Also some of the tree lines between the submitted plans do not seem to match.
- Since Vermont Electrical Co-op. development is shown on the plans and will have a major impact on this application, the Commission would like to see their presentation before making a decision on this application.
- Since the proposed use appears to be commercial, the Commission will need to consider the application as a major subdivision.
Possible meeting schedule discussed. Jeff Sikora stated that the Vermont Electrical Co-op. will have their information available by January 7, 2015, when the application can be heard for preliminary subdivision review.
Public Comment: No Public was present
7:47PM: A motion to approve the sketch plan as a major subdivision application that will create one new non-residential lot was made by Sandra O’Flaherty, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
Public Input: No Public was present.
7:51PM: A motion was made to approve the Minutes for November 19, 2014 by Doug Patterson, seconded by Sandy Gregg and approved unanimously.
7:52PM: Administrative Officer’s Report included a mentioning that currently there are no new scheduled hearings, there is no 5th Monday Selectboard meeting in December, and a discussion regarding the permitting needs for an unpermitted development on a Ferry Road property.
7:58PM: Town Plan: The Planning Commission planned how to proceed with the Town Plan update. The Planning Commission will work on the Town Plan at the December 17, 2014 meeting.
8:05PM: The Planning Commission deliberated application MR007-15-01PC
8:07PM: A motion to approve Final Subdivision Application MR007-15-01PC with the above conditions was made by David Roy and seconded by Sandy Gregg.
8:08PM: The Planning Commission deliberated application RT238-15-15B
8:34PM: The Planning Commission was joined by the Zoning Board of Adjustment and continued to deliberate application RT238-15-15B.
10:33PM: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Doug Patterson, seconded by Sandra O’Flaherty and approved unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.
For Planning Commission