TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
May 15, 2013 Meeting Minutes
Planning Commission Members Present: Todd Cox, George (Terry) Delano, Jonathan Shaw, Fred Reus and Carol Tremble
Planning Commission Members Absent: None
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Others Present: Janine Bellinghiri, Sandy Gregg, Doug Patterson, Skip Brown and Jill Federico
7:00PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Todd Cox.
7:00PM: On a motion by Carol, seconded by Fred and approved unanimously to approve the May 1, 2013 minutes.
7:01PM: The updated regulations were discussed and the Commission concurred that the printed updated regulations do reflect the approved changes and are the current regulations. It was agreed that Staff will provide Skip Brown with a copy for posting on the Town website and provide Terry Delano with a copy for electronic back-up.
7:04PM Interim Zoning, – Timeline, IZ Committee, Citizenâ€™s Advisory Committee
Todd Cox led an open discussion with the Commission and attending Public, which talked about the following:
- A special committee that will look at interim zoning is being formed and will include Todd Cox and Terry Delano from the Planning Commission, Jonathan Shaw and Skip Brown from the Selectboard and Paula Delano and 1 additional person from the ZBA.
- At the next Planning Commission meeting, which is on June 5th, goal formulation and process needs to be discussed. Also a Citizenâ€™s Advisory Committee needs to be formed.
- Staff was asked to compose an advertisement for the Islander for the Citizenâ€™s Advisory Committee and to invite Katharine of NWRP to the June 5th meeting.
- That this process may alter the Townâ€™s plan as well as the Townâ€™s zoning regulations.
- Concerns that the proposed changes to the plan and regulations reflect a Town vision.
- That many sections of the Town plan can be interpreted in many ways.
- On Monday nightâ€™s Selectboard meeting, Jocelyn Smith and Jill Federico brought in score card, which could be helpful in starting the discussion. However this score card states that it is not appropriate as a community survey.
7:31PM: Administrative Officers requested the following zoning regulation clarification, discussed an administrative decision and made announcements:
- Â· The Administrative Officer asked for a clarification / confirmation of Section 601 from the Commission. After a discussion the Commission stated / confirmed that an existing small lot is any lot smaller than the minimum sized lot for the zoning district and that if one of two contiguous lots is less than the minimum size for a lot in the zoning district are owned by the same individual(s), then the lots are deemed merged unless there are residences on each lot or the lots have two separate uses because zoning decisions are not to create non-conforming situations. Concerns were raised regarding the referred State regulation and to whether this State regulation reference and other such references in the Townâ€™s zoning regulations are current.
- Â· The Administrative Officer stated (1) that he received a change of conditional use application from Snow Farm Vineyard LLC., (2) that Snow Farm Vineyard LLC. had received Site Plan approval in the past, (3) that the zoning file showed only sketches that were not clear as to the full extent of the use of the site area, which included several properties, (4) the past Site Plan approvals did not state an approved site plan. Due to these reasons, the Administrative Officer is not going to require the applicant to apply for site plan approval with their conditional use application, but is requiring the applicant to submit a sketch that shows the use and to testify to such at the conditional use hearing. The Commission stated that the Applicant had stated in the past that they would be coming back to the Commission to clarify use of their property.
- Â· The Administrative Officer stated that he received an application from Ms. Hedbor for final subdivision, which will be scheduled for the June 19th meeting.
- Â· The Administrative Officer told the Commission that he will be on vacation for the June 19th meeting, and from June 19th to June 27th.
7:45PM: The Commission reviewed the draft decision for the Waring subdivision, application RT154-13-04PC. After a discussion the decision was approved as written and signed by the Commission Chair.
7:48PM: The Commission reviewed the draft decision template for the Camp Ta-Kum-Ta site plan application,SV077-13-35WWB. The Commission provided numerous edits and additions to the template. At 8:07PM: On a motion by Terry, seconded by Fred and approved unanimously to approve the site plan decision as modified. Jonathon Shaw agreed to edit the template and provided the final decision by email to the rest of the Commission for concurrence that the final document represents the approved decision.
The Commission asked Staff if he had heard from the State regarding the Keeler Bay Marina application. Staff stated that he has not heard from the State on this. The Commission requested that Staff contact Steve Hanna for an update.
The Commission discussed whether decisions should be placed on the web. The Commission decided that such decisions during the decisionâ€™s appeal period, but without the chairâ€™s signature should be placed on the Townâ€™s website and that past decisions should not be placed on the website.
8:17PM: On a motion by Carol, seconded by Fred and approved unanimously to adjourn the meeting.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.