TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
July 3, 2013 Meeting Minutes
Planning Commission Members Present: Todd Cox, George (Terry) Delano (after 7:04), Sandra Oâ€™Flaherty and Doug Patterson
Planning Commission Members Absent: Jonathan Shaw
Staff Present: Mitchel Cypes
Others Present: Bob Buermann, Jennifer Desautels, Eloise Hedbor, Lisa Diesel and Douglas Allen
7:00PM: Call to order for the Planning Commission by Todd Cox.
7:00PM Bob Buermann of the South Hero Interim Zoning Advisory Committee (SHIZAC) provided and read the following update to the Commission:
â€œCommittee is working to provide input to the Interim Zoning Committee characterizing town-wide opinions on Village and Commercial zoning criteria.
Based on the target for completion by November 30th, we are planning a community forum for Wednesday July 24th. Followed by either a community wide survey or another forum late August or early September and then a forum or survey early October.
We are preparing a list of questions / discussion items for the forum, concentrating around the types of commercial businesses and where they might or might not be appropriate and the impacts of those businesses.
To promote the forum, we are planning an article for the ISLANDER, along with a paragraph in the So Hero Notes, a Letter to the Editor (from the Planning Commission), and put into the community calendar. We will also have posters around town, information on the Town Web site, and postings on Front Porch Forum.â€
Buermann then updated and clarified the progress of SHIZAC stating the following:
- SHIZAC has met on Wednesdays.
- They are planning a community forum for July 24th.
- They are going to use the forum to decide whether to prepare and distribute the survey or hold another forum prior to a survey.
- They have focused on the types of Commercial development that should be allowed, what these developments should look like, and what should be done in village areas.
They would like to draft an advertisement for the July 24th meeting. Staff offered and will send an advertising template to Buermann and assist in the submittal of an advertisement.
Todd Cox discussed a possible meeting of the Town officials comprising the South Hero Interim Zoning Committee and involvement of Northwest Regional Planning.
7:07PM: WS321-13-05PC / Eloise Hedbor â€“ Final Subdivision Review for the creation of 2 new lots. Todd Cox read the hearing notice.
Jennifer Desautels and Eloise Hedbor were sworn in, were introduced, showed the plans that were submitted and testified the following:
- The final subdivision plans are similar to the sketch plans with changes to the septic system as required by ANR and per Staff comments.
- ANR required that the three septic systems be set in a row instead of having 2 of these systems be placed side by side, which will require changing the easement.
- Additional soil testing was performed to demonstrate the viability of the new septic design.
Desautels provided an overview of the project describing the lots, the existing and proposed septic systems, and the existing and proposed utility easements. She also noted that the correct lot size for lot three will be corrected on the final mylar.
The application check list was reviewed. No concerns were noted.
Tree preservation was discussed. Mrs. Hedbor testified that she plans to put covenants on the proposed lots to preserve the bigger trees and that the 2 proposed house sites shown on the plans do not have the old big trees on them.
Utility placement was discussed. Concerns regarding the utility easement width shown on the plans regarding these being able to allow maintenance vehicle access while staying in the easement were raised. Desautels testified that she would look into this and correct. She stated that placement of utilities underground was difficult due to the ledge that exists in the area. Doug Allen stated that the neighboring properties had underground utilities. Desautels said that they would prefer to place the utilities underground, would look into this possibility and adjust for the final mylar.
A motion was made by Terry, seconded by Doug and approved unanimously to accept the application as complete.
A motion was made by Terry, seconded by Sandra and approved unanimously to close the hearing for deliberative session.
7:33PM: There was a discussion on the State decision of the Keeler Bay marina project.
7:37PM: Administratorâ€™s Officers report:
- Discussed a solar panel Public Service Board application on West Shore Road.
- Discussed an application on an existing vacant property for a garage/storage area. Staff stated the opinion that this structure would be the principal structure on the property and would be required to meet the greater setback requirements. The Planning Commission concurred.
7:40PM The minutes for the June 5th meeting were discussed. Due to the membership change in the Commission, all three continuing members should be involved in approving the minutes. These minutes will be reviewed and approved by email by unanimous concurrence of the 3 continuing members.
7:42PM There was a discussion regarding the South Hero Interim Zoning Committee meeting prior to the 24th meeting by SHIZAC.
7:45PM A motion was made by Terry, seconded by Doug and approved unanimously to adjourn the meeting.
Respectfully submitted by Mitchel Cypes, Administrative Officer.